How is your school going about the practise tests?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
frustrated

How is your school going about the practise tests?

Post by frustrated »

My DS's school has done some practise papers today - all papers, all in one go not timed in sections, and not marked. A friend's school has done two today - one Verbal reasoning paper, 80 questions all in one go and another of 50 questions, done in sections and timed. They also got to mark their answers so that the children know how well they did. They are going to be doing a maths practise and an NVR practise tomorrow.

This is quite a difference, as my ds's school isn't doing it the way the actual test is set out, but the other school is....... Just curious to know how others' schools are going about it?

We are in Kent by the way - not sure if each area does it differently or not?
laretta

Re: How is your school going about the practise tests?

Post by laretta »

I only wish the school where my DD2 attends would get involved a bit, but they don't so much as glance at an 11 plus paper! I think it's the same for lots of schools in Surrey, correct me if i'm wrong?
I'm not sure, but I do wonder if it's because the school does not wan't to be held responsible if the child does not pass?
When I was looking for a tutor for my DD1 4 years ago, I thought it would be logical to ask the school. My request was met with virtual horror and the reply was "oh no we can't recommend anyone."
LoobyLoo

Post by LoobyLoo »

Our school does nothing and like above, any mention of 11+ and its like we're being disloyal so we're very much alone in the process with no support at all from school. All practice papers are done at home, which with younger children, can be difficult to reflect exam conditions but we can only do our best! We're in Notts and applying to our nearest grammar which is in the next county (Lincolnshire). With over 70% of our sons year group sitting the 11+ (yes, our local comp is that bad), you'd think they would try and do something about it.
chocolate

Post by chocolate »

I am in Kent, my daughter did practice papers vr and nvr yesterday timed in test conditions, she is doing maths today. I am amazed that the school have done anything at all because my son did not do any prep at all for the 11 plus (same primary school) a couple of years ago. The school say they are not allowed to prep the children but I know for a fact that many other primary schools in this area do many practice papers beforehand. I am waiting until she comes home tonight to see if they marked the paper, I am expecting that they will not bother to do that, and that it is just to give them a rough idea what to expect next week when they sit the real thing! Probably not a good ide to mark it at this late stage, because the poor pupils who get a low mark haven't exactly got enough time to do anything about it, and what a knock to their confidence!!!!!!!!!
Chocolatey Mum

Post by Chocolatey Mum »

On wednesday My DD had NVR timed in sections then a break of about 20 minutes followed by VR for 50 minutes all done in the schoolhall under test conditions.
Yesterday she did the Maths paper timed 60 minutes but it took place in the classroom within their sets for Maths.
I wondered why the Maths wasn't done in the hall but now I realise each school seems to do the practise in a different way.
I'm sure on the actual days of the test they will be done correctly under exam conditions in the hall.
Soon be over.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

LoobyLoo wrote:Our school does nothing and like above, any mention of 11+ and its like we're being disloyal so we're very much alone in the process with no support at all from school. All practice papers are done at home, which with younger children, can be difficult to reflect exam conditions but we can only do our best! We're in Notts and applying to our nearest grammar which is in the next county (Lincolnshire). With over 70% of our sons year group sitting the 11+ (yes, our local comp is that bad), you'd think they would try and do something about it.
Notts definitely won't help! - they are firmly committed to there comprehensives, which give very little choice.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The Kent schools all do 1 familiarisation paper for each subject before the actual test. For a few years it has been the Nfer 11A paper. It is purely to get children used to the format of the tests.
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Is the practise test done at school close to the real thing in terms of the questons asked?
ginobellavia

Post by ginobellavia »

I think if your primary is getting involved in the 11+ it must be the exception if its a state school. Our "outstanding" primary in Birmingham doesn't help, its all up to parents. I think that state primaries do not do enough to help the most able achieve their best, they are more concerned with ensuring they tick all the relevant "boxes" and providing the "best"education for a broad sweep of students which may be all they are able to do.
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

Ours did "mock" exams on weds and thurs exactly as they will be sat next week. They even did the written paper which surprised me. They don't get a mark, which is understandable as it is one of the familiarisation tests most of us buy and have done at home. This will be the same as the OOC tests tomorrow.
The schools in Kent are not allowed to do any preparation for the tests - KCC threatened to take the right to be a test centre away from our school if it did any coaching at all.