Losing the plot!!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scary mum

Re: Losing the plot!!

Post by scary mum »

Does bucks publish the raw score that became the pass mark each year?
No they don't - it seems to be a closely guarded secret, although people have been asking the last couple of years - if you look at the top of the Bucks section there is a thread about it where people submitted scores where they know them. You can also make an educated guess - my DS was scoring highly in practice, only getting 3 or 4 wrong, and from his score on the day(s) I would suspect he achieved the same sort of score.

Here's the link in case you are interested:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=18356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

scarlett wrote: I just want to say , not to feel despondent and that all is lost if your child isn't deemed " top table " ( always have a picture of the honoured children at a wedding top table ) because children really do develop at different rates and can get there in the end !
Scarlett is absolutely right to point this out, children do develop at different rates and mine was only a specific example to illustrate that the 11+ passes did correlate in DD's class, so don't want to make anyone despondent! Also I was referring more to "top table" cross-subject groupings in Y5/6 rather than all the way from when they are 5.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Jules...sorry didn't mean you were making a funny comment ! Just that I used to feel like cr*p a lot with mine as there always seemed to be some child ( and smug parent )who could write a perfect essay at the age of 5 ...and that would lead to me booing my eyes out after school in the classroom whilst the poor 19 year old football coach would be averting his eyes in embarrassment.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Are you sure it was because of the tears he was embarrassed and not because you had forgotten some key item of clothing in your haste to get to school pick-up time?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Do you mean was I just wearing a pair of fluffy slippers ?
um

Post by um »

Looking at things in terms of 'top tables' is not particularly helpful.
To be fair, in a large place like Birmingham, one school's top table would easily be another (better) school's bottom table...

Then there is the small point that teachers are not divine and the correct children are not always on the correct tables.
My ds1 went from bottom table Maths in Yr 5 (teacher laughed when she heard he was doing 11 plus) to top table in Yr 6 (in another school that was academically just as good) and finished on NC level 6 with a place at the Grammar.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes quite. And sudden leaps can be because your child changes teacher and they don't have the same poor judgement of your child and teaches them something. Or because a parent taught them something at home. Probably, given an appropriate academic diet, more children's progress would be linear.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now