Go to navigation
It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:38 pm

All times are UTC




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Dilemma
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:02 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:37 pm
Posts: 14
Hi, I am currently facing a dilemma concerning the 11+ which is taking place in the next couple of weeks. I am seriously ill and due to this my dd has been offered the choice of taking the verbal paper at a late date than other candidates as she is under quite a lot of stress at the moment. She would sit the non-verb at the same time as the other candidates but would then sit the verb two weeks after (the other candidates will sit the verb the week before the non-verb.) I am not sure what to do as on the one hand she would benefit from being able to have longer to focus on the non-verb during the next few weeks and then concentrate on the verb after but I dont want her friends to say to her that she has been given special treatment/ its not fair etc. She is currently consistently 90%+ on verb but her non-verb is inconsistent. I was just wondering what other parents would do in this situation?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dilemma
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:56 pm
Posts: 8228
As long as your daughter's paper will not be marked or treated in a disadvantageous way if she sits it late, I would go for whichever you and your daughter thinks is bets without worrying about what others will think. There are presumably candidates who are ill who will take it at the later date so you are in no different position from them. I think only a very petty-minded person could t hink that your daughter was gaining some kind of advantage from this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dilemma
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:09 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:56 pm
Posts: 8228
Of course, if your daughter opts for the later sitting, and is not well herself that day, is there another later date or does she miss her chance?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dilemma
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:19 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 1440
Well said Mystery. Please do not let your decision be swayed by what other people may think or say. Make your decision based on what you and your DD think is best, it really isn't anyone elses business. If someone were to criticise it would speak volumes about their lack of good character and I wouldn't be interested in their opinion anyway. I would make it known to the appropriate officials about your circumstances at the moment. Should things not go her way on the day this may help if you decide to appeal. Good luck. :)

Sorry, I have just read your post again and have realised you have, quite rightly, made the officials aware of your circumstances.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dilemma
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:39 pm
Posts: 298
So sorry to hear you are seriously ill.
wish you all the best and hope you recover fully soon.

As the other op's have said; you should do what is in the best interest of your daughter and your family. if you think she will benefit from more time; then take more time.

I wish your daughter all the best in her exams whenever she you decide she will sit the exams.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dilemma
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:28 pm
Posts: 2439
Get well soon!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dilemma
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:10 pm
Posts: 1068
Location: Lincolnshire
Absolutely do what you feel is best for your daughter. There are plenty of late takers for all sorts of reasons. Just give her a stock answer to give to any curious friends if it becomes necessary.

It is possible to delay even longer if circumstances are particularly difficult. Last year someone was allowed to delay until December because of the child's distress over a family situation. The crucial timing to bear in mind is that the tests have to be administered, marked and standardised in time for you to make a late application (with permission) and that the last date for dealing with late applications in your County this year is December 16th (which is considerably earlier than it has been in previous years).

All the best.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dilemma
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:37 pm
Posts: 14
Thank you so much for all your replies. I think we will delay the test, talked to dd tonight and she says she does not feel ready for it. I am so proud of the way she has coped over the last few months, she deserves the best chance possible and I think that reducing the pressure for her can only be a good thing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dilemma
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:16 pm
Posts: 1440
Hi FreddySam, it was very remiss of me not to have wished you well. Your daughter sounds very mature and she absolutely deserves the best possible chance. I will be keeping everything crossed for her. :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dilemma
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:11 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 9:57 pm
Posts: 1167
.


Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
CALL 020 8204 5060
   
Privacy Policy | Refund Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright © 2004 – 2016