Dilemma

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
FreddySam

Dilemma

Post by FreddySam »

Hi, I am currently facing a dilemma concerning the 11+ which is taking place in the next couple of weeks. I am seriously ill and due to this my dd has been offered the choice of taking the verbal paper at a late date than other candidates as she is under quite a lot of stress at the moment. She would sit the non-verb at the same time as the other candidates but would then sit the verb two weeks after (the other candidates will sit the verb the week before the non-verb.) I am not sure what to do as on the one hand she would benefit from being able to have longer to focus on the non-verb during the next few weeks and then concentrate on the verb after but I dont want her friends to say to her that she has been given special treatment/ its not fair etc. She is currently consistently 90%+ on verb but her non-verb is inconsistent. I was just wondering what other parents would do in this situation?
mystery

Re: Dilemma

Post by mystery »

As long as your daughter's paper will not be marked or treated in a disadvantageous way if she sits it late, I would go for whichever you and your daughter thinks is bets without worrying about what others will think. There are presumably candidates who are ill who will take it at the later date so you are in no different position from them. I think only a very petty-minded person could t hink that your daughter was gaining some kind of advantage from this.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Of course, if your daughter opts for the later sitting, and is not well herself that day, is there another later date or does she miss her chance?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Well said Mystery. Please do not let your decision be swayed by what other people may think or say. Make your decision based on what you and your DD think is best, it really isn't anyone elses business. If someone were to criticise it would speak volumes about their lack of good character and I wouldn't be interested in their opinion anyway. I would make it known to the appropriate officials about your circumstances at the moment. Should things not go her way on the day this may help if you decide to appeal. Good luck. :)

Sorry, I have just read your post again and have realised you have, quite rightly, made the officials aware of your circumstances.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

So sorry to hear you are seriously ill.
wish you all the best and hope you recover fully soon.

As the other op's have said; you should do what is in the best interest of your daughter and your family. if you think she will benefit from more time; then take more time.

I wish your daughter all the best in her exams whenever she you decide she will sit the exams.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Get well soon!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Absolutely do what you feel is best for your daughter. There are plenty of late takers for all sorts of reasons. Just give her a stock answer to give to any curious friends if it becomes necessary.

It is possible to delay even longer if circumstances are particularly difficult. Last year someone was allowed to delay until December because of the child's distress over a family situation. The crucial timing to bear in mind is that the tests have to be administered, marked and standardised in time for you to make a late application (with permission) and that the last date for dealing with late applications in your County this year is December 16th (which is considerably earlier than it has been in previous years).

All the best.
FreddySam

Post by FreddySam »

Thank you so much for all your replies. I think we will delay the test, talked to dd tonight and she says she does not feel ready for it. I am so proud of the way she has coped over the last few months, she deserves the best chance possible and I think that reducing the pressure for her can only be a good thing.
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Hi FreddySam, it was very remiss of me not to have wished you well. Your daughter sounds very mature and she absolutely deserves the best possible chance. I will be keeping everything crossed for her. :)
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.