Thanks everyone for all your constructive advice/comments-I thought i might receive lots of hate-mail, or perhaps thats still to come
I'd say this to you, what would you be considering doing if you knew your child was as well-prepared as you could ever hope for? You are in that same position. You have no back-up choice you are happy with - it's superselective or something you sound very unhappy with. Is that really the case, or are there some other options you have not yet thought of?
Although I think to some extent everyone probably/possibly feels unprepared. I genuinely believe if i had done all I thought was possible to prepare i would not have taken ds out of school, well perhaps for a day or two prior to tests. My ds does really like school and Iknow he will not be very impressed at being taken out of school
If he doesnt get into the grammar school,then yes he will have to go to my local comprehensive, though ive had some bad experiences from my older children i do feel a bit better equipped to deal with issues i might face. Its just not really what we wanted to have to go through again-but I will be positive, comparing to many in the world we have so much to be grateful for, getting very philosophical arent I? so we have decided we will try and make the best out of whatever school we end up with. Well ive decided that, not sure DS has a clue!!!
Just to add to my dilema, primary school has a 1 week residential trip planned for dss class, 2 weeks prior to second round of grammar tests, and as far as I am aware its about the time we get told if children have got through to second round or not. If ds does get through to second round, assuming I dont withdraw him from primary, id prefer he doesnt go on trip, it can be very exhausting, probably not the best thing to do before test, but if he doesnt get through and he doesnt go on trip, which i need to decide and pay for now, its tears all round
Really am thankful for your wise words, I will chew on this for a few days and have to make a decision soon.