withdrawing ds from school

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Precious

Re: withdrawing ds from school

Post by Precious »

I did not withdraw my DS son from school in the end, although at the time I posted my question I was convinced that it was what I was going to do- I took a few days off and despite believing then as I still do now, that its not the be all and end all to get into grammar, I did feel that If I kept my DS soon home purely to prepare for the test a huge amount of pressure would probably build up, which would have become unbearable for both of us.

I have home schooled previously with one of my other children, only for a short time,(and not to prepare for grammar) and we both really enjoyed the experience-but that was a different child, I dont think it would work with this one!

Although I didnt think that I had/have much time, we have made a considerable amount of improvement since I posted question-much more than I thought we would-so all in all I am glad I didnt withdraw my DC.

Members of the forum really helped-again glad I asked the question.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well done - whatever decision you made was going to be the right one! Has he sat it yet?
Precious

Post by Precious »

Thanks Mystery.

Hes sat round 1, were awaiting results which should receive in fortnight. Round 2 is in about 3 weeks.

Im not too hopeful that he will make it..but im so.so. glad we tried.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Precious, I have got my fingers crossed for you and your DS. You are obviously a very thoughtful and caring parent and those are the qualities that will see your DS through, whatever school he goes to. It is a long process for you with two rounds and waiting for results. I'm glad we just had the one day and a short weeks wait for results. I really hope it goes well for you. btw several DCs had the day before the test off at our school and it was officially marked down as "educated off site" not absence. We have a very sensible and extremely caring HT. Tell your DS we are behind him so give it his best shot.
Precious

Post by Precious »

Thank-you mum23* for your warm wishes,they are really appreciated-bit embarrassed by your praise-I guess we all really care for our kids and just try to do what we think is best for them.

I see that you have had recent success with the 11+, so a very, very big congratulations to you and your DC. Well Done!! :D

P.S. yes ,you do have a very caring HT, dont think mine is so accommodating. :?
Fran17

Post by Fran17 »

Well done to your DC mum23* wonderful news! :D

Good luck to your DS Precious. I am sure you will have made all the right decisions. :D
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Thanks! :D yes I'm really relieved. It means my 3 will be at schools in the same city at least! You must be nearly there Precious or is it over?
Precious

Post by Precious »

few days to go until first round results.. and two weeks until second round..if we qualify :?

I will be relieved when this is all over, probably not as much as my DS will be though :D

Hes been promised lots of treats whatever the results, so he feels as if he is in a win, win situation!!! I on the other hand better start saving!
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

Hi Precious,

I just smiled looking at your email - we also had to promise a few treats. And now that the 1st stage of exams is over, DD started talking about getting them! :)

Primary school has been getting better. When we watch all the SATs booster sessions, etc that all the class are getting - less half a dozen including DD, it somehow does not feel like as it paid off to put the effort in advance. On the other hand the school try to be supportive and for example stop the "oh, you're the one applying to that posh school" type of talk from other children. :roll:

HT is very driven and so if we approach from the right angle, we usually get some of the support we need - perhaps we have to chase a teacher for a week, but we do get something... :D

Fingers crossed for your DS results, hopefully you will be busy for another couple of weeks!