Where can I get hold of Level 5 info

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

menagerie

Where can I get hold of Level 5 info

Post by menagerie »

Keep hearing that a child needs to be comfortably at level 5 at the end of Yr5 to be grammar material. But where can I find the checklist for this in English and Maths? School isn't an option - they loathe evaluating children, and are very cagey with details, and also disapprove of selective education. Is it downloadable online? Or is there a book I can buy with examples of work targets at given levels?

Thanks.
yoyo123

Re: Where can I get hold of Level 5 info

Post by yoyo123 »

http://curriculum.qcda.gov.uk/key-stage ... index.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

scroll down to mathematics to get maths info.

levels are BEST FIT, so even though there may be elements of a highe rlevel showing in the work, it does not mean that is the level reached
Jules7

Post by Jules7 »

I don't think this is a hard and fast rule and conversely not all level 5 children qualify for GS. Also depends on the nature of the 11+.

My DD1 was at level 5b in English but 4b in maths at the end of Y5 and passed the 11+ (by the end of Y6 she was at level 5 across the board).

If you do want to do some exploration then there are KS2 SATs tests you can buy and mark to see where they are. We didn't bother doing any English SATS stuff but did 2-3 maths papers with her to make sure she had made progress towards her L5 in this subject before the actual tests.
Thingsbehindthesun

Post by Thingsbehindthesun »

It depends on which schools your aiming for as some pitch their papers with the expectation that most children are working at that level,but I don't think all children gaining a place end up with a level 5 but there would probablly be a few that do.

Letts have a range of books that can be used to test and practise level 5 skills or you could use their revison guides.
;D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Rising Stars do a good range too, called Achieving Level 5, explains what tyou have to do to get that little bit extra..
la boume

Post by la boume »

A friend of mine hired an educational expert to test her DC in all core subjects. Despite the brilliant report and 3! tutors, her DC did not make it to the GS. Don't know if it helps.
I wonder, what your school puts in the end of the year report, Menagerie? No levels at all? Do they provide enrichment for G&T?
starmum2000

Post by starmum2000 »

I agree with the other posters for information sources, but I would also urge you to speak to your child's school.
They may be cagey, but as a parent you have a right to know what National Curriculum Level your child is working at. The school WILL have this information, they are obliged to track the progress of all children.
NC level 5 is not the be-all & end-all, but nevertheless you have a right to this information - be firm :wink:
Starmum x
katel

Post by katel »

Ask the school what level your child is working at. They will know.

Oh and ignore the level 5 at the end of year 5 thing unless you're looking at superselectives. My dd was well away from that and passed.
menagerie

Post by menagerie »

Thank you so much for your replies. There are some great resources and ideas here.

We are only looking at super-selectives, as that's all there is round here, so we need to be on the ball. My DS is very bright but also undereducated. The school is great in many ways but not academically dynamic and there's no overt enrichment for G&T (he gets extension work in maths and brings in reading books form home as he's read everything in class.)

I'll get hold of the Rising Stars material and the KS2 sats papers - they'd help me work out where we are and more importantly what he needs to focus on to make sure everything he might get set in an exam is familiar to him.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

if you google you can find past sats papers and their mark schemes free to download.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now