Difference between Grammar School and Independent School

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ritz667

Re: Difference between Grammar School and Independent School

Post by ritz667 »

On par i would say as more children are applying for places.
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

Based on comments I read about previous years, the pass level for DAO has been slightly higher than Habs Girls. And certainly Saint Albans High School for girls accepts many children that do not pass the DAO exam.
The Troll

Post by The Troll »

[deleted by moderator]
khanj010

Post by khanj010 »

well said troll :)
muffinmonster

Post by muffinmonster »

The Troll wrote: [deleted by moderator]
It's not quite that simple.

For grammar schools, the competition is often so fierce that those children who have not been heavily tutored don't stand a chance (not always the case, but certainly true in some areas). Tuition costs money (for those parents who are unable or unwilling to do it themselves). So money does enter the equation.

Most independent schools are selective, so the child's ability enters the equation here.
The Troll

Post by The Troll »

[deleted by moderator]
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

The Troll wrote:[deleted by moderator]
Troll. I am finding your comments on this and other threads offensive. Are you just trying to stir up controversy? Education and ones children are emotive topics, your comments are hugely general and are only based on YOUR experience. Please respect other peoples choices to go inde or to choose grammar or to choose an upper school. This forum works because people add their views but are mindful of other peoples.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Troll

Where do you get your "facts" from, I am just curious to know???

You seem to be very anti - independent schools. I am sure you say that perhaps as someone with a very bright child doing very well in a grammar. Have you paused and thought about the not so clever ones whom you deride who get that 30% you speak of. What is wrong in having schools catering for those children??? Do you just value bright children?
This forum works because people add their views but are mindful of other peoples.
My son would never ever do the 11+ grammar test. My DD did it and the experience has changed my whole perspective of the 11+ but I am still a member here. I respect other people's choice of the 11+ even though I now hold very strong views about them. I really don't see what you are trying to achieve by mocking a certain type of education. Perhaps the clue is in your name but you just seem to go on and on.
Impossible is Nothing.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Yummiemummie wrote: Troll. I am finding your comments on this and other threads offensive.
Not only offensive but ill informed and misleading, which is far worse on a forum that seeks to be a useful source of help and information for parents at a stressful and worrying time.

Mike
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

I agree with the last two posts. There is not a one size fits all school and for many the options are complicated to work through. We found the ideal school for my son and now want to find a school that suits my daughter. This forum is great when used according to the rules. Basic courtesy and respect for others being followed by all must be a given so that people can express themselves honestly.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now