Any One with Twins and how do you cope?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fred

Any One with Twins and how do you cope?

Post by fred »

This is quite and informative site. I have twin daughters in year 4. They are quite different, and one is 'sharper' than the other.
I would love to hear from anyone else in a similar situation on how to cope with studying them and getting them prepared for the 11+
Belinda

Re: Any One with Twins and how do you cope?

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DenDe

Post by DenDe »

Hi Fred,

I can completely identify with your worries having last year put my (boy/girl)twins through the 11+. I have to admit being completely stressed the whole time, particularly because I worried so much about one passing and one not, and how this would affect their self-esteem.

My 2 were actually of very similar ability so I didn't have the issue of whether to enter them both or not but they were very competative so I did all tutoring separately. Although this was onorous for me I believe it benefitted them as they had my full attention for the whole hour (or however long we were working) and although they invariably compared scores afterwards there wasn't the direct comparison we would have had if they had worked together. In fact as they had different weaknesses I found that as time went on I concentrated on different topics with them anyway.

Good luck!!
Pushy Dad

Post by Pushy Dad »

We got twins in year 7. Luckily they are similar in ability so tutoring them together for 11+ wasnt a problem.
fred

Post by fred »

Thanks everyone for all your useful replies.
I have been away for a week so just catching up. It has been quite interesting, even emotional, reading the logs from parents waiting to get their kids results (Bexley) and the euphoria when they did get the results.

I think my biggest issue is not having a structure in place, I seem to jump all over the place and buy so many different books.
My routine with them is I spend at least an hour with them 5 days a week, and they have also started going to a tutor for a couple of hours on Saturdays.

They are in year 4 and I have gone through all the topics that need to be covered. Some topics like probability and percentages need a bit more to top them up, as I did not think they were ready at the time.

I think I know their weaknesses and will continue to work on them.
I also get them to do a 10+ test paper (one weekly) which I then mark and go over with them. I am hoping that they will consistently be scoring above 80% at this stage and hope to trend a gradual improvement.
I have booked them in to take a 10+ mock exam during the term break and would want to use the results to give me an independent base line to work from.

I would be very grateful to any tips or advice.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sounds like you are doing brilliantly we and we could do with your tips. How do you find an hour a night to do this?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

You'd be surprised how quickly an hour passes, Mystery. Once they've been wrestled into their seats, you realise you have given them a book either for a child years older or younger.....the appropriate book has mysteriously gone missing and then you can't remember where you hid the answer sheet. In the middle there's the mad dash to save the burnt dinner and you return to find everyone's rolling around on the floor with the dog.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Sounds like my house, but we don't have a dog, and I haven't usually thought that far ahead about dinner.
fred

Post by fred »

yep the hour just flies by. There are always issues, no pencils, or they need a blank paper, or they need to use the toilet or they start arguing.
I use to set them work and leave them to get on with it. Over the past few weeks I have been seating at the table with them just to ensure that they do the work. My wife and I both work and I just try to maximise the time in the evenings. There are go days and bad days
I found that the most difficult part is having the discipline to seat down every day resisting the temptation to put my feet up and watch a bit of TV