What does your child think *you* think about the 11+?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pheasantchick

Re: What does your child think *you* think about the 11+?

Post by pheasantchick »

My DS knew it was important. However, we took the approach that if he did very well, he would go to school A, quite well B, then C, then non grammar, D. I hoped that would take the pressure off (although secretly hoped he would do very well!).
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't think that approach would have worked for me; I would have felt that B and C were by implication second rate options and I wouldn't have done very well if I went to either of them.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Would you really ? I felt embarrassed to tell everyone at primary where I was going as everyone went to the local comp and I was going to a girls school quite a distance away.I told everyone I would be starting at the comp too...lets hope they didn't spend too long looking for me ! I don't think I would have worked any differently though , and once you settle in and make friends, I think at that age , you feel as if you have always been there.

You are a tricky customer, Mystery :lol:
Desperado99

Post by Desperado99 »

DD definitely knows I frequent this forum. :oops: mainly from the several times I've marked her practise tests and have had to come here to ask for an explanation of why is 'A' the answer........

I think she was well aware of the stakes, but we did try to 'big up' the non-selectives (they ARE good in our area).

Gone are the days when kids would take the test at primary not even knowing what it was (that was me!). My parents were completely laid back about the whole thing (early 80's) but that was probably because I was the third child and neither of my brothers passed the 11+.
pabrighton0

Post by pabrighton0 »

My DD was not seeing the point. She is still a bit young and the fact virtually all the children will go to local comps does not help. I'd think she'd have figured that being in the top tables we would expect her to do better. She says we are fussy parents. :oops:

At some point she was worried it would be too much work at a selective school. But now virtually all the other children at her state primary stay later a couple of days a week for Maths and English SATs preparation. Instead she attends (with a few of her set) local secondary Maths once or twice a week (during school time). So I think she got the point that there is some benefit of doing her best. :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now