Katel's ongoing saga....opinions welcome.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Guest55

Re: Katel's ongoing saga....opinions welcome.

Post by Guest55 »

Katel,

Are you allowed to look at his papers? I it possible he just missed a question and then transcribed incorrectly or that his paper was marked incorrectly (he did not make the pencil marks strongly enough?

Go for an appeal. You may regret it afterwards if you don't.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:Katel,

Are you allowed to look at his papers? I it possible he just missed a question and then transcribed incorrectly or that his paper was marked incorrectly (he did not make the pencil marks strongly enough?

Go for an appeal. You may regret it afterwards if you don't.
My younger son did exactly this in his recent 11+. Came out and said 'I made one huge mistake, and I only realised when I got onto the codes section and the answers clearly didn't fit the boxes. So I rubbed out 6 questions and copied the answers into the right places...'. I am not sure how I held onto my emotions at that point and we are fortunate that he still passed, but it is very easily done. Ditto the pencil marks thing - we realised just days before the exam that his spidery little dashes probably wouldn't be read so had to try and impress on him that he needed to, well, impress on the paper. Worth checking, perhaps.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Perhaps get him tested again with the next set up of CAT tests i.e. those for a slightly older age group - they overlap anyway and if his score is good it may help an appeal.
Looking ahead somewhat we have never bothered about all the extra curricular stuff with DD1 who only wanted to spend as much time as possible at home and as little time at school as she could. We worried a little bit about UCAS forms and personal statement but were delighted to find that Oxford simply couldnt care less and are ONLY interested in academic results so he may not be missing as much as you fear in the way of opportunities .
Good luck anyway
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

katel wrote:Head teacher says bad day at the office. Not sure an appeals panel would buy that one!
It does happen. If there is body of high-quality academic evidence that supports that theory, a panel will certainly look very hard at that possibility.

I will PM you in a moment.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I am guessing you are somewhere near the border of Kent and Medway, another option would be a late entry test for Medway if its a doable journey. Your son doesn't even need to take it now, have seen adverts for Chatham Boys after allocation touting for candidates who haven't set the Medway test to do so.
Impossible is Nothing.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

katel, I've always enjoyed reading your posts so I'm going to be completely honest with you and give you the opposite side of the coin from most of my fellow posters.

The appeal system is a bit of a lottery wherein a panel are at liberty to give as much or as little weight to a range of factors as they like. In our case they felt quite able to ignore the expert opinion we had provided and pass judgment on an issue which they weren't remotely qualified to assess.

We found the whole process dispiriting and depressing, and would be highly unlikely to repeat it.

Sorry to sound so downbeat :( but you asked for opinions...
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Have you considered applying to an independent school? You're probably still in time to apply for a bursary if needed, and it sounds like he might get one. I know it goes against your grain, but forget yourself, might it not be best for him?
Loopy
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If undecided, then there's something to be said for putting in an appeal simply to keep your options open. You don't even have to submit a case until nearer the date (in the summer term) - just send in the form after 1st March saying "Case to follow". You could withdraw at the last minute if you wanted to.

I agree with Rob that the appeal process is unlikely to be a pleasant experience (although hindsight - if you're successful - can really alter perspective! :))
I also agree that appeal panels are unpredictable - but that could possibly work to your advantage.

Sally-Anne hits the nail on the head - academic evidence is usually the key.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
mystery

Post by mystery »

Go for it please Katel. I want to see an appeal succeed that was not just a "marginal" fail, and without having to concoct "extenuating circumstances".
Did he do equally badly on both days? Have you looked at his papers yet to be sure that he did not just put the write answers in the wrong boxes if you see what I mean?

If you do get him a place via appeal, and he does not take it, then it doesn't matter. He will always know he could have gone to the grammar school as an independent appeal panel agreed he was intelligent enough. And if he doesn't then don't tell him till he's got his first at uni.

What are the top GCSE and A level grades like at the non-selective? Does it really have as few extra-curricular opportunities as you are suggesting ..... quite often the non-selectives have more. Is it an OK school or not?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now