The never ending circle

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mad?

Re: The never ending circle

Post by mad? »

Danny Dorling is also speaking at LSE public events tonight http://www.lse.ac.uk/publicEvents/event ... 30vOT.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . These sessions are usually really good, free and over by 8pm so time for a Covent Garden supper :D
mad?
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

The problem is that very often the second choice school is often a much worse school. There are undoubtedly some places where parent have a real choice between a Grammar School and a high performing Upper or Comprehensive School, however, where I live the Upper schools are not high performing. There are not enough places for capable children at the Grammar school, as a result many go to the local upper school where I am certain that they do not achieve the same results that they would have done at Grammar and have many of "life's chances" taken away

If you have a DC who is borderline, and you live in an area with a very poor second choice, you are going to have to work like mad with a child who is only 9 or 10. Spending money on tutors, working most evenings for 9 months, spending your summer holiday working. Its like asking children to take their GCSEs where the result is either A* or fail, nothing in between.... yet we do this to 10 year olds; it just isn't right we shouldn't have a system like this

You may ask if I am doing this for myself or for my DC; I am doing it for myself, if my DC doesn't get into Grammar, I have the means to pay, they will get a good education, and I may need to retire a few years later than I had planned
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

The problem is that very often the second choice school is often a much worse school. There are undoubtedly some places where parent have a real choice between a Grammar School and a high performing Upper or Comprehensive School, however, where I live the Upper schools are not high performing. There are not enough places for capable children at the Grammar school, as a result many go to the local upper school where I am certain that they do not achieve the same results that they would have done at Grammar and have many of "life's chances" taken away.
There are some areas where there are no grammar schools at all, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that Cornwall has none for example, so you are better off than some.
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

mattsurf wrote:The problem is that very often the second choice school is often a much worse school. There are undoubtedly some places where parent have a real choice between a Grammar School and a high performing Upper or Comprehensive School, however, where I live the Upper schools are not high performing. There are not enough places for capable children at the Grammar school, as a result many go to the local upper school where I am certain that they do not achieve the same results that they would have done at Grammar and have many of "life's chances" taken away

If you have a DC who is borderline, and you live in an area with a very poor second choice, you are going to have to work like mad with a child who is only 9 or 10. Spending money on tutors, working most evenings for 9 months, spending your summer holiday working. Its like asking children to take their GCSEs where the result is either A* or fail, nothing in between.... yet we do this to 10 year olds; it just isn't right we shouldn't have a system like this

You may ask if I am doing this for myself or for my DC; I am doing it for myself, if my DC doesn't get into Grammar, I have the means to pay, they will get a good education, and I may need to retire a few years later than I had planned
+1
nadinne_le_moianeau

Post by nadinne_le_moianeau »

mattsurf wrote:The problem is that very often the second choice school is often a much worse school. There are undoubtedly some places where parent have a real choice between a Grammar School and a high performing Upper or Comprehensive School, however, where I live the Upper schools are not high performing. There are not enough places for capable children at the Grammar school, as a result many go to the local upper school where I am certain that they do not achieve the same results that they would have done at Grammar and have many of "life's chances" taken away

You are utterly right. That is precisely how I see things.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I cannot understand why anyone with the means to send a child to a private school would be opting to put such pressure on the child to pass an exam to secure entry into a grammar school.
Surely your hard work has paid off, you cannot break the cycle, but can at least change gear?
I am not judging you, I appreciate your up-front honesty, I just cannot get my head round it, particularly as you admit the stress is huge, they work like mad and the system is not right.....jump out then? Unless they can secure a place with just a bit of familiarisation of course twinned with the confidence that there is another great option in the wings so no pressure.

An area without any grammar schools must have the huge advantage of completely mixed ability secondary schools, all children being educated together, all siblings being under the same roof during the day, a strong sense of community and young adults leaving school with a true sense of reality.

I am a stay at home mum, dh works 8.30 until 9.30, we both have qualifications coming out of our ears, but both essentially prefer mucking about with the kids than working.
We have very few luxuries, cannot go on flash holidays or have family pub meals every week. However the boys are indulged both in extra curriculum and local clubs and most importantly parent time. (I am ALWAYS on the side lines or in the audience) We are indulged by watching them grow into happy confident men, and the occasional take away curry and bottle of wine, evening gig or day trip out whilst they are at school.
Once all the boys are settled into secondary school I will begin the search for a job, which will inevitably bring a new lifestyle and allow us to afford luxury, I have no intention of returning to the 7-7 of old though, or walking round the supermarket on Saturday mornings with a phone clamped to my ear to a client or producing specs at 11pm.
Amber

Post by Amber »

equilibro wrote:There are some areas where there are no grammar schools at all, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that Cornwall has none for example, so you are better off than some.
Most areas of the country don't have grammar schools. Not everyone believes this renders them 'worse off' as the children there don't have the added pressure of an exam when they are 10; and they still go on to pass exams at school and go to university just like those who live in selective areas.
Amber

Post by Amber »

mattsurf wrote:I am certain that they do not achieve the same results that they would have done at Grammar and have many of "life's chances" taken away
I would be very interested to see the evidence for this on which you base your certainty.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Amber wrote:
mattsurf wrote:I am certain that they do not achieve the same results that they would have done at Grammar and have many of "life's chances" taken away
I would be very interested to see the evidence for this on which you base your certainty.

Not something anyone will know until ten years after they have left education....at any point, not neccessarily uni.
Amber

Post by Amber »

southbucks3 wrote:
Amber wrote:

Not something anyone will know until ten years after they have left education....at any point, not neccessarily uni.
Unless they can clone a child, I don't think they would ever know.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now