Rewards ...

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

FluffyD

Re: Rewards ...

Post by FluffyD »

scary mum wrote:But FluffyD, what will you do if he works very hard, and for some reason on the day doesn't pass? Will you give the prize to him anyway? We may have to agree to disagree about this as I am strongly against rewarding results - what do you plan to do for GCSEs? A friend of mine announced that her daughter would get £10 for every A on her report card in junior school (she is very bright). This girl has a brother who is 8 years younger, so I asked my friend what she would do if the brother wasn't an A student. Would he be penalised for not getting As? She agreed that rewarding effort might be the way forward. Having said all that, we all have to do what works for our DCs, and we know them best.

(Sorry, lots of cross-posts, I was answering FluffD's earlier comment about the iphone etc)
Where we live we are in the very small minority of people that try for the 11+ (only 3 DC's from current Y6 applied) None of his friends are applying and the work that I am asking him to do is above and beyond anything that his friends are doing, unlike some areas where everyone does it. I am trying to incentivise my DS to work and it is working for him.
He is getting small rewards for effort as we work along the next few months when he earns the points so that he is being rewarded for his hard work as he goes.

As for GCSE's, he will be doing that with everyone else so will not have any extra motivation from me on that front (I mean like I am doing now!) He doesn't get anything for doing well at school (other than a well done and I will let him choose what to have for tea as a reward)

I haven't considered what to do should he not pass on the day, it is something I will have to have a think about, maybe a lower prize for the effort? I don't know.

Everyone will do this differently and each person knows their own DC and how best to get them moving, for my DS who is very bright but lazy, this is what is working for him. Each to their own I suppose!
Vic x
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

When DS1 was going through the 11 plus I bought him a DS ( no, not another boy ) a few months before as a reward for working hard and also I said that once he completed whatever work he had then he could go on that to relax. When he passed we also went out for a meal ( exchanging smug, knowing looks with other diners who had similar aged children with them ) and I think I bought him a bit of lego. ...but I would have done the same if it had been commiserations. It's best just to keep it all as a surprise and then there are no expectations.

With DS2 I've bought him little ditties along the way to motivate and at the moment a little halo lego set is waiting for him on his bed...alongside some brand new 11 plus workbooks ! tee hee !!!
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

scarlett wrote:When DS1 was going through the 11 plus I bought him a DS ( no, not another boy )
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Vic x
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

WE brought DS a phone for taking the test.

(Fluff D - the posts don't look particularly cross to me, fairly chirpy actually :lol: )
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

I dont think she meant cross :evil: but that we had crossed over posts.
I think :oops:
Vic x
HOO1

Post by HOO1 »

rather than give my son a reward for passing, at the begining of his tuition he was given a sealed tin, and every time he did a paper or extra work we gave him a £1, and he opened the tin on the day he did his exam, this way he was rewarded for the effort he put in regardless of passing or failing.
faitaccompli

Post by faitaccompli »

HOO1 wrote:rather than give my son a reward for passing, at the begining of his tuition he was given a sealed tin, and every time he did a paper or extra work we gave him a £1, and he opened the tin on the day he did his exam, this way he was rewarded for the effort he put in regardless of passing or failing.
That is a great idea!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I agree - we haven't done any full papers yet so I think I will use this idea as an incentive to keep DD's attention
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

scarlett wrote: ... alongside some brand new 11 plus workbooks ! tee hee !!!
I'm liking your style 'scarlett' 8) :wink:
Heartmum x x x
Becky Boo

Post by Becky Boo »

Hi

We gave DD1 £5 per week for doing mum and dad's homework. We also offered £10 for every paper she scored a 100% on (fortunately we only had to fork out £20!!! :D ) and we gave her tickets to Michael Morpurgo's Warhorse for the effort she made on the summer holiday.

All little incentives to keep her motivated!

I also put some 11+ books into her Christmas Stocking for the past two years (that's my tee hee and you bet her response was to roll her eyes!!!).

Good luck to everyone else and just do what is right for your child.

Cheers
Boo