too late for grammar school?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
helpanyone

too late for grammar school?

Post by helpanyone »

My son has been unsuccessful in obtaining one of his preferred schools (year 7 entry 11 years old) primarliy due to the distance criteria and has therefore been given a school not on our preferred list. We are very disappointed with the school he has been offered.

My son is a very bright student obtaining 90%+ in English, Mathematics and English SAT's.
We have looked into the eleven plus exam system and feel we have been left with no choice by our LEA but to try to get our son into a school which selects pupils based on ability.

We live in the london borough of barking & dagenham and schools vary hugely in terms of ability and attainment. We were hoping our son would be successful in securing a place at one of the better schools. We are currently going through an appeal process but are now looking at all possibilities incase the appeal process fails.

Is it possible to get pupils into a grammar school after the admission process has been completed?
Is there anywhere we can go and pay for our child to sit the eleven plus externally and then take those results to grammar schools in our area?

My son has completed trial 11+ papers and has scored very well on them. (80%+).

Your advice is appreciated.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Helpanyone

I don't know your area, but I can imagine that the schools are very mixed.

I am as certain as I can be that it is not possible to take the 11+ "externally" and then take the results to schools in the hope of a place. The 11+ is set differently in every area, and no LEA will accept the results of another test, only their own.

I am afraid that the only alternative may be to consider moving from your current area into an 11+ area/county, but I have said before that it can be "out of the frying pan, and into the fire". Areas that have the 11+ often have even worse schools as the alternative to Grammars, because the bright kids are creamed off by Grammar Schools and "the rest" end up at Comps, Upper Schools etc, and achieve poorer results because of the general academic standard.

If you wished to move it is possible to sit the 11+ late in most areas, but you need to prove residency before a school place is allocated, and once again, the distance rule is applied.

I wish you luck with your appeal.
Sally-Anne
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I also don't know the area - which grammar schools locally would you be looking at? If you can give the members of the forum an idea they might be able to come up with some more info.

Another option which you may or may not consider is that some state grammar schools have boarding departments and the fees are only for the boarding not for the education - not sure how oversubscribed the boarding places are but may be worth contacting them
http://www.sbsa.org.uk/
helpanyone

Post by helpanyone »

Thanks for the replies they are appreciated.

We are based in the London Borough of Barking & Dagenham.

We are looking at a school within Redbridge (Ilford County High) since this is the only one within sensible commuting distance from our home.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Reckon you will have to ask Redbridge about late applicants - LEAs do do late 11 plus for those who haven't done it - the only problem is that there may not be any spaces - only way you'll find out is asking them.
Northkentmum

Post by Northkentmum »

Don't know if this might be relevent but a local grammar school has advertised some places and said that if the child has not done the 11+ then they can sit their entrance exam to qualify for a place,this takes place in May. This is in Kent so not sure if this applies to Barking and Dagenham but might be worth asking.

I thought this was unusual, see Kent thread "kent grammar schools",Peter gave some interesting comments.

Either way good luck!
NKM
azzurri

Post by azzurri »

unfortunately the tests are taking place this month for Ilford and woodford county.My daughter tried for the 11 plus but was not sucessful.I have just read the letter they sent me last month which states that late testing will take place on the 17th or 20th of this month.You can only try and give the LEA a call to see if something might be done.I don't know if I'm allowed to give you their phone number but here it is just in case.020 8708 3140/3139 ask for Danusia Beard or Julie Herman.Good Luck
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

azzurri wrote:unfortunately the tests are taking place this month for Ilford and woodford county.My daughter tried for the 11 plus but was not sucessful.I have just read the letter they sent me last month which states that late testing will take place on the 17th or 20th of this month.You can only try and give the LEA a call to see if something might be done.I don't know if I'm allowed to give you their phone number but here it is just in case.020 8708 3140/3139 ask for Danusia Beard or Julie Herman.Good Luck
Dear Helpanyone

This isounds like really useful info from azzurri, reckon you have to get on the phone on monday and see if you can get a place for the 20th maybe?? Good Luck!

Herman -Munster that is - not the Julie Herman in the message above - oh heck too much work on friday 13th - just finished the jolly evening shift...