Setting up a new tutoring business

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Colin

It's funny that, every time I read one of your mails I open MS Excel and have to compute the numbers!

I think it is realistic to start by working from home. It keeps your overheads minimal. However, in the meantime, please don't give up the day job for another reason. If you do, you will have very serious issues with being CRB checked. Whilst you remain employed at a specific school, you can cite the fact that you are CRB cleared for your employment - and as a teacher. I would still recommend that, if possible, there is another adult on your home premises at all times when you are tutoring.

Why don't you simply start - soon - with one evening a week and see what happens? Start small and build up.

If you register on the Forum I think you will get more advice by PM than you will on the open forum.

Sally-Anne
appscol

Post by appscol »

Thank you Sally Anne.

There seems to be such a demand for tutoring and I feel I'm a fairly decent teacher, but probably hopeless and inexperienced at marketing!

I moved to a new school last year and it hasn't worked out at all well. My previous school have offered me a route back but I'm not sure that is what I want.

My priority is paying the mortgage, but I want job satisfaction too!
Primary deputyheadteacher lookin to set up my own tutoring business. Help please!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Colin - glad you registered.

A PM is winging it's way to you shortly.

What a coincidence.

Sally-Anne
irikanji

in the same boat as you colin!

Post by irikanji »

hi colin,

I just stumbled across your posting... i too am looking into setting up a tuition type business having worked as a teacher in the uk.
I am currently in the process getting as much info as I can from various sources and so would welcome discussion from you and anyone else for that matter! Yes, like you, I probably have much to learn also.. .especially the business side of things...
Good luck with your journey...
regards,
paul
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Paul

If you register, then you and Colin can PM each other on the subject.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Well if you are a "fairly good teacher" you should know when you should use "there" and when to use "their"........see your earlier post.
Tut Tut
ANDREW THE POET

SAVE US FROM PRIMARY TEACHING

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

Good luck Colin. It's a brave person who leaves teaching with all the associated benefits of pension, sickness benefits and security. Please do bear in mind that, in most parts of the UK, jobs availability is contracting. As such, should you wish to change your mind and return to teaching then this might prove difficult. Teaching is an extremely conservative profession with most teachers working from cradle to grave. This is a shame, as what teaching REALLY needs are people who have also done other things in their lives! Anyway, I left teaching 10 years ago to work on something not disimilar to your own venture. I hope it works out for you!
ANDREW THE POET

More Advice

Post by ANDREW THE POET »

AS A PS ....
Rates will obviously depend on where you live. In darkest Lincolnshire you would be lucky to get more than around £15-£18, unless your reputation is particularly good. Of course, if you happen to be in the South, then you can command a great deal more.
Don't forget the many tax advantages of being self-employed Colin! Claim those electricity and gas bills (a portion of) and pay yourself mileage if you have to travel to a student's house. All of this can mitigate against what, in my experience, is generally a fairly lowly annual wage for tutors relative to someone in mainstream teaching.
I wish you well ... regret nothing and good luck!
Andrew
Dreamer

Post by Dreamer »

Can I ask a question to all of you as in your opinion can only Teachers become Tutors?

I currently run a recruitment business. I would love to change careers and teaching primary children would be my ideal. However I am not in a financial postion to be able to give up my current job in order to go to take up Teacher training. I have been thinking of tutoring part time. This is mainly because I tutored my son and really enjoyed it. I am going to be tutoring my daughter from next January and If I still feel the same than I will look to possibly start tutoring part time.

Any advice would be welcome. Sorry if I am taking the 11+ forum to new sights but as you are all discussing similar stuff.

I should add my son did pass but I do realise teaching ones own is very different to teaching other children.

Thanks

Dreamer

Post by Guest »

Hello Dreamer

It is definitely possible to tutor successfully for 11+ tests without formal teaching qualifications or experience.

Primary teachers follow a strict national curriculum that does not include many aspects of 11+ such as Verbal Reasoning. A newly qualified graduate teacher would not have seen any VR questions during their degree course.

Tutoring is about teaching the child what they need to know for the 11+.

Tutoring involves researching the content of the 11+, purchasing the correct preparation materials, being proficient at understanding the methods and techniques and then passing on this information in a manner that is communicated effectively to the student.

Many people have transferrable skills that would be sufficient for them to set up a successful tutoring business.

There are many people who can, but very few that do.

Regards

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now