Was I negligent before?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
2outof3

Was I negligent before?

Post by 2outof3 »

All this preparation for exams in September/October this year has made me wonder what I was doing with my DC before......

Now I'm not advocating that we should all have spent two -three hours a week "consolidating" what the DC do at school from age 4, but apart from regular reading and making sure all homework (all 15 minutes of it :shock: ) was done properly, I really didn't get involved in "formal" education as such. Although this isn't the first time we've done entrance tests, this is the first time one of my DC has had to do English as a component of the test and suddenly I'm discovering the intricacies of pursuasive writing compared to descriptive, the ins and outs of comprehensions and so much more :D

It has made me wonder whether I should have been more engaged before. On the other hand, my older children both seem to have coped very well without much intervention from us. That's not to say that we haven't made sure they have had lots of extra curricular opportunities, discussions, travel etc, which are all important, but not "formal" education.

Am I the only one feeling a bit negligent? :(
penguin

Re: Was I negligent before?

Post by penguin »

no

but I also felt a bit foolish at believing when I was told my DD was doing well and then realising that she didn't really understand as many things as her teachers seem to think she does :oops: