11+ entrance conditions and requirements

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rashminder12

11+ entrance conditions and requirements

Post by rashminder12 »

hi,
We want our son to go Grammer school in U.K but where we live there is no Grammer school so our son needs to sit in different area for 11+ entrance test. we are planning to apply for Slough borough council and Wiltshire county for Y7 entry.
Can anyone suggest that as we are living in Hampshire right now. If my son pass the test in any of the school then will i be able to fill the application form for secondary school of those LA online separately or not? which is dead line of 31st October 2012. As i heard that result will come before the dead line.
Another thing , Do i need to contact education authority of those areas to register my son to sit in the exam and when?
Will my son personally needs to go there or he can sit in his own primary school, in Hampshire?
will be very greatful if any one can help me.
thanks
hermanmunster

Re: 11+ entrance conditions and requirements

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Rashminder and welcome

First - you apply for all schools on the same CAF (common application form) - for your OWN LEA - ie Hamsphire - they liase with the other LEAs if some of your schools are out of county.

you MAY have to apply to the schools - you need to check the websites for the dates etc.

the children OOC usually have to take the test at the school they are applying for or at a centre (here they use the local town hall) - this makes it fairer as all the children are in the same setting - I don't think they would let you take it in Hampshire
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

rashminder12 wrote:We want our son to go Grammer school in U.K but where we live there is no Grammer school so our son needs to sit in different area for 11+ entrance test. we are planning to apply for Slough borough council and Wiltshire county for Y7 entry.
You will also need to check whether the schools have a catchment area (you need to live within a certain distance of the school) or if they are super-selective (they take the top scorers)
rashminder12

Post by rashminder12 »

thanks for reply,
I did try to look at the website of school i am interested, they mention that we need to contact Redbridge council for registration of my son at Grammar school of Redbridge county. will contact other schools of slough county to confirm it.
does anybody knows how much score child needs to pass the test or it varies with all school, inspite of Common practice 11+ test .
how many choices ,i can fill on the Common application for Hampshire county?
If my son doesn't get through (God Forbid!!!!) in any Grammar school of my choice then what will be the situation for my son's admission in y7?
hope somebody can solve my confusion.
Thanks in advance.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

As hermanmunster advised, you need to make the application for state secondary school places through your own local authority (you should receive advice about the process through your DC's primary school before the end of the summer term or at the beginning of September); the Redbridge school probably assumed that you were a Redbridge resident enquiring about a place?

If your DC is not successful in obtaining a place at any of the schools which you have named on your CAF, Hampshire will allocate a place at the school nearest to your home address which has vacancies and for which your DC is eligible. Please bear in mind that if you have used up all the spaces on your form naming selective schools all over the place and given no thought to potentially suitable local schools, you may end up with an offer that you are very unhappy with...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

rashminder12 wrote:thanks for reply,
I did try to look at the website of school i am interested, they mention that we need to contact Redbridge council for registration of my son at Grammar school of Redbridge county. will contact other schools of slough county to confirm it
Some schools / LEAs do need you to register to take the test
does anybody knows how much score child needs to pass the test or it varies with all school, inspite of Common practice 11+ test .
They all vary - there is no single 11 plus test. - also as mentioned above some schools have a pass mark and then places are allocated to anyone who has reached the mark based on distance. Some go purely on the score - so you could live anywhere and be offered a place.
how many choices ,i can fill on the Common application for Hampshire county?
In 2009 it looks like 3.. worth ringing and asking for a more up to date answer
http://www.acanthus-colour.co.uk/portfo ... link01.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

.. yep: looks like 3 http://www3.hants.gov.uk/coordinated-scheme-2013-.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If my son doesn't get through (God Forbid!!!!) in any Grammar school of my choice then what will be the situation for my son's admission in y7?
You need to make sure that one slot on the form is for a local school you are happy to accept and are eligible for
rashminder12

Post by rashminder12 »

hi
Thanks for everybody who answered my all queries. I am really getting bit clear picture about admission procedure of 11+ entrance test for selective school. As schools are now closed , so can't contact any school yet.

Has anybody's son or daughter passed the 11 + test for Grammar school this year y7 entry?

Can anyone make it clear that which subjects test will my child needs to give and how long this test will be for each subject on the day of the 11+ test?

Will it be multiple choice pattern or standard. As at present I am giving my son to practice Maths, English and Verbal reasoning in standard styles not the "Multiple choice"?

Does anyone knows best resources material or books to practice all 11+ test papers? I am using Bond Plus 11+ assessment papers at present?
I will be very thankful, if anybody can give their valuable advise to me for the preparation of 11+ paper for Grammar schools.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The tests vary by school - here are Wiltshire's details - the others are via the links on left hand side of the Wilts page
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

there are plenty of resources and help here to have a look at:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/preparation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/prepar ... in-year-5/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The 11+ is not standard across the country. It varies according to what local authority the school is in, eg in Kent NVR, VR and maths are multiple choice papers and there is a writing task. In Bucks there are 2 VR papers but no maths or NVR.

Information about the tests by region is given here

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schools/regions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now