Mock Tests!! asking myself if DD is really up for the 11+?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

yummycool

Mock Tests!! asking myself if DD is really up for the 11+?

Post by yummycool »

Its the End of April and DD did a mock test to check on progress - scores were :

maths 77 - 24/60 (40mins)
verbal 100 - 49/65 (40 mins)
non verbal 90 - 35/50 (30 mins)
English 102 - 41/55 (30 mins)
Creative Writing 118

spring school sat scores - english 5C and maths 4A

we know that maths is a weakness and we are working on this - lots of silly errors made on this paper which DD has been able to do with no problems.

With 4 months to go is this possible?

ps if you haven't guessed total first timer with grammar school entry stuff - Feeling very confused especially when you start reading the many threads.

Yummycool
Daogroupie

Re: Mock Tests!! asking myself if DD is really up for the 1

Post by Daogroupie »

These are good scores Yummycool and good progress will be made if you work steadily at it. Where did you find a mock with creative writing? Which schools are you sitting for? DG
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

thanks Daogroupie - we did the mock tests at elevenplusmock - really helpful as our first stab at sitting in a formal environment. She scored the 4th highest mark in creative writing that day (she came out saying that she wasn't confident she did well!!)

We are hoping to sit for HBS and Tiffin - how about you?
copella

Post by copella »

Hi thought I had posted a reply but it did not come up so here it is again. Don't worry or be disheartened as DG said the scores are good and you have time to brush up on problem areas. My DS took the Sutton mocks last June and did not pass with a dire English score. It was a shock and made us realise how complacent we were because he is a good reader we hadn't realised that he stuggled. We worked on his weaknesses and were just pleased he did this in a mock test or we would have been oblivious. In sept he will start at one of the top grammars. so don't worry and keep at it there is time for improvement. Good luck
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Thank you copella, that is encouraging - well done to your DS!

We have started to work on the areas in maths and we are upset that we hadn't realised just how much she didn't know in this area :( school has her in the top group, but looking at the 11+ maths she is totally way off. Its a fine balancing act with all the other areas that we need to keep on top of aswell. No summer hols this year!!
Manana

Post by Manana »

Crikey-you say your DD is a 4a in Maths and that is a weakness! My DS is a 4a across the board (probably nearly a 5 in maths) and I'm worried to see that's considered poor?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is not poor at all in the context of Year Six children but when sitting entrance exams for super selectives there will be children who are on Level 6 for English and Maths and other children,specially in Maths who have already started working on the KS3 syllabus. DG
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Manana - Hi, we too thought DD was on track until we saw the level the questions in the 11+ papers were. The wording, layout etc.. TOTALLY threw her - sometimes the grades they get in school don't fully reflect the level of understanding they require on the maths 11+ papers.

We've started working with her and it is helping - fingers crossed!
MrsB

Post by MrsB »

Manana wrote:Crikey-you say your DD is a 4a in Maths and that is a weakness! My DS is a 4a across the board (probably nearly a 5 in maths) and I'm worried to see that's considered poor?
Manana, I would not get too het up about the levels at this point. I think you are aiming for an Essex grammar, in which case work through appropriate materials for CSSE schools, and it is a question of how your DS is doing on those.
moved

Post by moved »

There is plenty of time to improve. I have had many pupils with low scores at this stage, who go on to score very well in the real exam. I still think it is very early for real papers. I usually set one about this number of months before the real exam, but with the caveat of don't worry if you only get about a quarter right, there is still a long time to go!