unsure

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
tony & karen

unsure

Post by tony & karen »

Hi all, not sure if im putting this in the right section of the forum or not? My DD is currently going to a primary school where she is not happy, we have found out that she is un happy as she says the work is too easy, as of September she will be going to a private school, we have been advised by the private school that on her entry tests in her assessments she is at least 3 years ahead of the national average for her age (please don’t ask me what tests she did as I haven’t got a clue) her hobbies are reading dictionaries as well as books, goes on line to find extra math home work and belongs to a science club, I know strange child :roll:

It has been suggested that she sits the 11+ so I thought I would look into it but can find nothing about the 11+ in Nottinghamshire, you don’t have a section on Nottinghamshire on this forum either :( her nearest GS is QEHS in Lincolnshire which is 22 miles away, I cant seem to find any in Nottinghamshire at all, we have contacted QEHS and have been told we are out of their catchment area, so I am now at a loss, does this mean that if my DD does take the 11+ and passes she cant go to a GS?

Sorry if I seem a bit clueless im afraid I know nothing about the 11+ at all

Thanks Tony
hermanmunster

Re: unsure

Post by hermanmunster »

Nottinghamshire & Nottingham do not have any state grammar schools, just comprehensives - the party line being that these are OK for all children. Am sure some of them may be OK for all but not all of them. Some do very well eg Southwell Minster.

There is no 11 plus test in Notts. It may be that the private school is referring to the independent entrance tests although some kids on the borders of Notts do take the 11 plus for Lincolnshire and some go to Gainsborough or Grantham but the catchments can vary and whereas 22 miles in the south of the county might get you into Grantham girls it may not work for Gainsborough

The independent schools in Nottinghamshire, north Leicestershire and east Derbyshire are thriving - possibly because of the lack of GS in the county as parents want another option.

Which year is she in?

You need to have a chat to the new school about options - these involve:
considering senior indies?
checking whether any children ever get into QE from your area,?
moving house?
.....?
tony & karen

Post by tony & karen »

Wow that’s a fast reply :D she is in year four and goes to year five in September, I have just been told that QEHS takes in 180 children per year from their catchment area and then work out in a bulls eye effect if they do not have enough pupils from their own area, so I suppose the only option is for my DD to take the 11+ (hopefully pass it) and fingers crossed that not many pass in that area.

Grantham Girls is 47miles away so practically no hope of getting in there :roll:

I am right on the North Nottinghamshire / South Yorkshire border so I suppose I need to start looking that way.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - this link gives some of the stats for QE admissions over the last few years..

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 21&t=22869" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

looks like there have been some people at 22 miles who are on the waiting list but the offers stopped around 13 miles
tony & karen

Post by tony & karen »

thank you again, well its not looking promising :( looks like she will have to stay at her new school.