Bucks 11+ desperate and panicking

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumofthree1972

Bucks 11+ desperate and panicking

Post by mumofthree1972 »

HI
I was wondering if anyone can help me. My son is due to sit his 11+ in October 2012 and we met with his headteacher who does not seem positive at all.
This has set me in a panic . WE have been working at home preparing.
I have coached my daughter last year who is going to BGS but my son does not seem on the same level...
I enquired Susan Daughtery but she seemed to want the full amount of money considering he will only be entering the course half way.
I was wondering any anyone else can recommend a course or tutor who can help us a bit more...
I appreciate any help anyone can offer.
PS He will be sitting Bucks and Berks but BGS is our preference due to his sister going there in september.
Many thanks and have a lovely Monday
Sally-Anne

Re: Bucks 11+ desperate and panicking

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi mumofthree1972
mumofthree1972 wrote:we met with his headteacher who does not seem positive at all.
I have coached my daughter last year who is going to BGS but my son does not seem on the same level...
Without wishing to spoil your Monday, those two statements leave me wondering whether he is GS material? Do you have CAT test results for him? Do you know what SATs levels he is currently working at? Or a reading age score?

I think it might be worth taking a step back and evaluating what you know about him academically before hiring a tutor. It is also worth evaluating his test results by question type as you go along because it may be that he has difficulty with specific types. That sort of problem can be addressed by tutoring. However, if the errors are more scattered, it may be that he is not going to grasp it.
I enquired Susan Daughtery but she seemed to want the full amount of money considering he will only be entering the course half way.
Not good at all ... Susan's class sizes are around 20, and that is unlikely to work well for a boy who might need more individual attention. Large class sizes tend to be of most benefit for children of fairly high innate ability who just need to be introduced to the method and techniques involved in VR.

There are some tutors listed here and, even if they are fully booked for regular tuition, perhaps one of them might be willing to do a one-off assessment that would give you a better idea of his potential?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... /18/tutors" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please do ask for more help if you need it.

Sally-Anne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now