Sudden lack of confidence

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rainy

Sudden lack of confidence

Post by Rainy »

My son has had varied sucess with practise papers but on the whole has been done pretty well.Today after finding a few questions tricky he stood up and said that he was stupid and he was bound to fail. I tried to make him feel better by saying you don't have to get them all right to pass.He is a bright boy but his emotions are taking over his logic at the moment. As a mum I am hoping this is just a wobble, I explained to him that different papers are harder than others. I know there aren't any magic solutions, I am just letting off steam because although I haven't shown it to him, inwardly my stress levels are soaring :( Thank you to anyone who has taken the time to read this.
Rainy
Rainy

Re: Sudden lack of confidence

Post by Rainy »

(P.S to above message ) My thoughts go out to all other parent's who are feeling stressed
Best wishes to you all.
Rainy
yummycool

Post by yummycool »

Hi Rainy

This is very common in many households I'm sure! - no doubt we are all trying our best to ensure our dd or ds are best prepared for the tests. Many times I have read that children are doing poorly in the tests at home but on the day all the prep work comes back to them and they overcome their fears and succeed - I understand of course the opposite can happen too - but with the amount of effort that people are taking on these forums, its clear that we are making all the effort we can.

My dd seems to have a similar problem - when she attemps a paper, she seems to find the papers which on this forum are deemed to be easy really hard and vice versa with the hard ones, she seems to sail through! so it really depends on what we will get on the day :)

I do feel that I too am on a roller coaster of stress - but this forum comes in handy to help steady some of the fears and all is not lost.

Good luck and best wishes to you and your son :)
Rainy

Post by Rainy »

Hi Yummycool
Thank you so much for your reply and your words of support.Hope all goes well for you and your daughter.
Take care
Rainy :)
Celtic Worrier

Post by Celtic Worrier »

Hello Rainy

things the same in this house too, son gets a few wrong then its high drama - I like most parents are trying to show a calm front but inside I am deranged with this thing, but he wants to do it so its onward and upward so to speak

I see you are trying for a Lincs school, so am I - why don't we start a support thread on the Lincs forum so we can have a rant and a ramble

anyway best of luck not long until it's over now

CW
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now