Test Score Results

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

woodstock72

Test Score Results

Post by woodstock72 »

Hi Everyone

I have just started 'tutoring' my son with a view of him getting into our local Poole Grammar School. He has completed two advertising removed by a moderatortests; verbal reasoning (scored 82%) and maths (scored 63%). Could somebody please advise how I turn these into a standardised score? I have looked on the internet but cannot find anything specific.

Reading Mum

Re: Test Score Results

Post by Reading Mum »

I don't think you can with just one - a standardised score takes into account the cohort who all took the same test and then shimmies it all around until the average is 100 on the bell curve. I think.
woodstock72

Post by woodstock72 »

Thanks Reading Mum

I didn't realise it was so complicated. I will definitely be glad when all this is over, fingers crossed he gets in. There seems to be a dramatic difference in 'successful' results across the country. I have spoken to a few local tutors and they gave me differing information on what he needs to achieve to be successful. Feeling rather bewildered!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

There are some threads that explain it in more detail somewhere on here. I decided I didn't need to know :D

Depending on the area and school you are aiming for the required scores vary a lot, then there is the variation in cohort from year to year, some schools not providing past papers, some not using standardisation, some super-selectives where you will probably need to be getting 90/95% to secure a place, plus there is a lot of guesswork by tutors et al based on what the DCs remember when they come out of the exam (!)
woodstock72

Post by woodstock72 »

I think I'll join you and decide not to know :lol:

What is a super selective school?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I think in Kent (not my area so don't shoot me) there are some schools where you need to get 60ish % and some where its more like 90%. In Bucks there is a standard score to 'pass' and a GS space will be found for you if you do - may not be the one you want or can get to but still its a place. Where I am there is only 1 GS that takes the best 96 pupils from the 600 odd that take the exam so you would be looking at scores in the region of 90% to be in with a chance - that is 'super selective'.
coombeward

Post by coombeward »

How about 140 from 1685 - that's Tiffin boys
or 120 from about 1500 - Tiffin Girls.

Super-selectives are grammar schools which select their intake on the basis of score alone.
woodstock72

Post by woodstock72 »

Thanks for your responses. Our local Grammar states entry upon reaching the academic standard. However, at the open evening, the Headmaster stated entry would be given to those with the highest scores.

Let's hope all the time and effort pays off :wink:
ThreeKids

Post by ThreeKids »

Super-selectives are the catchment-less selectives that take the highest scorers in rank order. Most selectives have a catchment which means that the pool of eligible children is geographically reduced. The removal of a catchment means that kids from far and wide can, and do, compete for a place. This can be good and bad depending on your view point.
ChessDadPlus

Post by ChessDadPlus »

coombeward wrote:How about 140 from 1685 - that's Tiffin boys
or 120 from about 1500 - Tiffin Girls.

Super-selectives are grammar schools which select their intake on the basis of score alone.
Gosh, and there were us worrying about 100 places out of 500 entrants!
Looks like your looking at 95% or more on raw scores there to give you a chance, I'm making assumptions here that there will be quite a few exceptionally genius candidates who will get really high flying marks, so real tough competition there ...