Planning a sale campaign of school to DD

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
silverysea

Planning a sale campaign of school to DD

Post by silverysea »

Ok imagine I have picked out my top three choices. What are the best strategies for selling my choices to her? Experiences please.

Visiting on a normal day could be good.

What else?
Cricket

Re: Planning a sale campaign of school to DD

Post by Cricket »

I think the best advice is not to be too obvious or insistent. My experience is the more you push a school as better etc, the more likely DC will turn against it, especially when a school is where most of the DC's friends are going.

One is better to point out the good and bad at all the schools but point out that achieving a place at any of the three would be an amazing achievement. Then highlight areas that you know your DC will like e.g. good maths? or swimming pool? even if not actually relevant/important to you, if something child would like, worth mentioning.

Finally, and I know opinion is divided and depends on individual children, BUT parents should make the final choice, not an 10 or 11 year old child!

Good luck.
silverysea

Re: Planning a sale campaign of school to DD

Post by silverysea »

Thanks Cricket. I learned my lesson about giving too much choice over school with DD1- absolutely ! I am in charge of this. Also DD2 is less streetwise and more likely to choose on the basis of cakes at open day.

Lately some primary pals have said they are going to a faith school (we can't ) so that has helped her to visualise a new life ahead I think. Also she is enjoying doing the prep which is so clearly ahead of school.

Swimming pool is a good one. I mentioned once that I read on here that an actor from Harry Potter had sent a DC to a particular one and I got a big perking up of ears (major obsession with dd2). I can't see what difference it would make to her, parents aren't going to be there much are they?

I read Aldenham school was reminiscent of Hogwarts and am sorely tempted.

It's a bit far though and very high fees. Maybe will look anyway on my own.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now