A question for you all

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Kent Mum

Post by Kent Mum »

I grew up around children. I have 4 half brothers and 5 cousins, who I saw very regularly. As I was the eldest, and the youngest almost 20 years younger than me- there were always young children around me.
I've taught Sunday School, worked with children in Drama Therapy, helped in creches, led holiday clubs, returned to my old school (a grammar) to run a post O level course, worked with special needs children, mentally and physically handicapped, worked as a nanny, and helped with a youth club- all before I became a parent.
I could change a nappy blindfold in seconds. I wasn't phased by yelling kids, I thought if anyone was prepared for motherhood- it was me.
Then it became reality.
Nothing can prepare you, Teacher77.
The practical side was a doddle. I can honestly say I found all that a breeze!
But the emotions... NOTHING can prepare you for that.
It's all very well having theories- no matter how ideal. But once you become a parent, you enter into another realm altogether.
You hear about the wanting the best for your child stuff- but until you know from experience what it's like- you have NO idea! (Not you personally- anyone!) Nothing comes close.
I really hope I don't come over as patronising- because I honestly don't mean to be. I hated it with a vengence when people trotted out that old "You'll understand when you have kids of your own" line- but, please, please trust me- it's true.
There's an old quote that goes along the line of
I had no children and 3 theories- now I have 3 children and no theories!
Becoming a parent shakes it all up and can turn all your idealism on its head.
Utopia is fab- but please understand those of us who have to live in reality in the meantime.
Of course I'm out of my mind! It's dark and scary in there!!!!
Katie

Doing your best!

Post by Katie »

Here Here! :wink:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Kent mum, brilliantly put...

I know just what you mean, even truer when you have the second and evrything you thought you knew about raising children flies out the windpow!
:D
Guest1965

Post by Guest1965 »

Well said Kent mum!! :wink:
Katie

Post by Katie »

Or when you have the fourth! :lol:
Gary

Post by Gary »

I'm sure that most of the problems at many comps is down to that ridiculous social experiment called 'mixed ability teaching', the attempt to pull all children down to the lowest common denominator.

Our local comp was placed in special measures at the end of last year, and the other comp in the town has even worse results. The first thing the new rescuing head did was to introducing streaming from first starting in the the school, based on tests which will be taken by Year 6 pupils in the feeder schools. (This, by the way, has made me feel a very little bit better about my daughter going to this school should she fail the 11+) So I can now view the 11+ as an extension of these tests, with the more able students going into streams which just happen to be in a different school.

We all want the best for our kids.
Katie

Post by Katie »

That seems to be how it's done here already. It does make sense. I think the problems for many parents is the sometimes huge difference between schools - forcing some people who otherwise wouldn't have minded - to enter the selection process with their child due to a very poor alternative choice.
The difference in acheivement at gcse between the school that we were hoping for and the school that we were offered is ridculous. In one school 99% of pupils acheive 5 or more gsce passes a-c, but at the alternative school only 14% do. Itappears that there is no middle ground for typical children - just one extreme or the other.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now