Impact of date change

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mattsurf

Re: Impact of date change

Post by mattsurf »

Thanks Stocky.

I am not trying to justify my position - In fact I think that this is one of the most important debates, and really important for parents who don't already have experience of the 11+

I feel that the media, some schools and other forums take a very negative view of pushy parents hot housing for the 11+

My comments and those from you, Bravado and Supple all emphasize that the experiance can be really positive

My concern is that parents look on the site, and see posts about super selective schools and incredible competition: They might feel that their child is not a super high flyer and doesn't stand a chance, however, with the right attitude and a lot of hard work they do stand a chance - and even if they don't pass, it is still positive and worth the effort

As long as people can see both sides of the arguement then they can make up their own minds how much work is appropriate and when to start
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

As well as "newbies" realising that their DC stand a chance, even at superselectives, I think it's also just as important to realise that there is a massive chance that even with all the work in the world that a DC will not be successful at gaining entry to a school.

As I have just posted on the Surrey forum, those of us with DS sitting the Tiffin test on Thursday know that there are approx 1700 boys sitting for 140 places. The odds are horrendous and even the brightest, most prepared child is unlikely to be offered a place.

Of course prepare well for exams - and how you do that is entirely a subjective decision to be made by each individual family. However, without trying to be the harbinger of doom, be realistic about your DC's chances of success. As has been posted on here on many occasions, so many of the children sitting these tests are bright enough to flourish at the schools, if only they could get into them! There are just not enough places for those who want them unfortunately.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

Stocky wrote:As long as people can see both sides of the arguement then they can make up their own minds how much work is appropriate and when to start
Agreed! I think I start jumping up and down and waving my arms around because of all the 'must tutor for three years, eat gruel and collapse from exhaustion every day to pass' posts! :wink:
2outof3 wrote:Of course prepare well for exams - and how you do that is entirely a subjective decision to be made by each individual family. However, without trying to be the harbinger of doom, be realistic about your DC's chances of success.
More good advice.
bravado

Post by bravado »

inmystride wrote:
Stocky wrote:As long as people can see both sides of the arguement then they can make up their own minds how much work is appropriate and when to start
Agreed! I think I start jumping up and down and waving my arms around because of all the 'must tutor for three years, eat gruel and collapse from exhaustion every day to pass' posts! :wink:
With respect, I can't see that anyone has posted anything like that on this thread.
bravado

Post by bravado »

I'd never stand in judgement of anyone - it's not my style. I like evidence and logic - therefore I can't possibly say what's right or wrong when I don't know someone or their situation.

Stocky - your DD sounds like my DD2. Children who love work..and lots of it, do exist. She did work of her own volition, long before the 11+ voyage and will again, after a well-deserved break. I too, have to say "enough". Maybe you can't fight genetics :lol: Where's that tongue-in-cheek emoticon? DD1 on the other hand..boy...what a different story....so with the benefit of the evidence of two learner-types, I know the self-motivated 10 year olds really are out there :wink:

My experience with tutoring both DD's has been immensely positive. DD1 was a different child after the journey - we all knew the likelihood of her passing was very slim - she also knew it but she wanted to give it a go. I agree with 2outof3's comments about a sense of realism - we all had that. DD1 gained a tremendous sense of achievement and her self-esteem grew immeasurably. Her YR 6 report and SATS stand testimony to her improved confidence about her capabilities. DD2 has also grown in confidence, although she started from much better place, academically. Like Mattsurf has said, children can really benefit if they're being given help. What's so bad about a child who has been enabled to truly understand maths and now trusts their ability to do it well? What's negative about a child who, through having some help with English, now finds they love the beauty of poetry, can punctuate correctly and understand grammar a little better ?

No education is wasted. If we can all try to understand that for many, tutoring isn't all about passing the 11+ then that would be fabulous. For some, tutoring is about the pay-off that comes of helping their children to come to a place where they no longer struggle as much as they did, with Maths and English. If this site can help people to see that no matter what the outcome, there IS no failure, then that's an amazing thing. As for the media - pah - what can you do? You can tell them your trousers are black and they'll still quote you as saying they're white, for whatever reasons known only to them. They're only interested in extremes when it comes to reporting on the 11+ - with the possible exception of the BBC.
inmystride

Post by inmystride »

bravado wrote:With respect, I can't see that anyone has posted anything like that on this thread.
The clue was in the wink.
penguin

Post by penguin »

:D What a wonderful post bravado. I agree with you that education can never be a waste.
lottie78

Post by lottie78 »

Hi,
Ds has just sat his exam four days into year six.
We didn't start any prep until March and he didn't turn 10 until lat week in August!
Ds loves to learn but did need prompting on prep especially in the holidays but he never complained.
Regardless of the exam outcome I feel the work and time taken were extremely valuable, we spent so much one on one time together, it was 'our' thing. Feel abit lost without it now !
Ds has learnt so much and is so much more confident in his learning he has always done well at school but is now consistently coming 1st or 2nd in school tests which he is thrilled with, he is actually looking forward to his sats. He has grown a lot and he has a good understanding of just how important an education is.
The whole 11 plus has been a positive experience for us it's just a shame that so few receive the places that a great many others also deserve.
Stocky

Post by Stocky »

What a fantastic post Bravado.
mattsurf

Post by mattsurf »

Bravado, really good post. I wish that I could express myself so well!

It would be really nice if the moderators could put a sticky on Bravado's post as the advice would be really valuable and inspirational to new parents looking at this site