Why aren't there more Grammar schools?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
StJamesDad

Re: Why aren't there more Grammar schools?

Post by StJamesDad »

daveg wrote: There will always be children "just one mark off". Parents who claim that the 11+ is a fair method of allocation (obviously, this doesn't include you!) tend to change their tune if and when their child fails.
I have only caught the tail end of this, but your comment intrigues me.

Surely that says more about the unfairness of parents than the fairness of the 11+?
Fran17

Re: Why aren't there more Grammar schools?

Post by Fran17 »

ahap wrote:Hi, I'm Ahap and I am ignorant in some areas.
I use this forum to ask, receive and to give. It is no waste of time for me if I'm gaining information and knowledge through this forum.

I thank you all very much for your time.

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err"

Mohanadas Karamchand Gandhi
Well I'm ignorant in lots of areas, ahap. I come to this forum to ask lots of questions and have received much valued advice over the time I have been using it. It would be dreadful to put people off posting questions by making them feel silly for not knowing the answers. Thank you for creating this thread and for sharing your quote I have not heard it before but will be using it in the future.

I am a huge hypocrite. I do not agree with the grammar school system and yet I have two sons at grammar. I feel guilty that there are four grammar schools in one borough which cream off some of the best students, depriving the local comprehensives of these children. In my perfect world all comprehensives would be excellent places of learning and we would all send our children to our local school. Unfortunately, this is not the case and so I shamefacedly work the system for the benefit of my children.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now