Why aren't there more Grammar schools?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Belinda

Re: Why aren't there more Grammar schools?

Post by Belinda »

The Telegraph article refers to Sutton Grammar (Boys) having 1588 applicants for 120 places.

But without further evidence (other than the lone school above) it says... In some areas, competition is so fierce that as many as 13 pupils are vying for each spare place.

Channel 5 have then seemingly translated this to:

Competition for places is fierce, and can often see as many as 13 pupils vying for a single spot at a state-funded grammar school.

:roll:
They're all idiots.
I'm not sure if I'm more irritated with their maths skills or their English comprehension skills! :shock:
daveg

Post by daveg »

Belinda wrote: They're all idiots.
I'm not sure if I'm more irritated with their maths skills or their English comprehension skills! :shock:
This should have been entirely obvious to the OP, as it was to everyone else, which would have saved us all a lot of effort.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

daveg wrote:
Belinda wrote: They're all idiots.
This should have been entirely obvious to the OP, as it was to everyone else, which would have saved us all a lot of effort.
Unnecessary, daveg. I don't think this would have been immediately obvious to "everyone else". Meeja efforts like this can fool on the one hand, and need to be debunked on the other. ahap has taken the bull by the horns in challenging the research behind the broadcast. Good for him/her.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

And down in Devon the Devonport/Plymouth the girls grammars are only getting 3 applicants for every 2 places which would make that assumption of 13/place even further out!
doodles

Post by doodles »

mystery wrote:Perhaps it's a smaller number of people doing a much larger number of applications! They all live in Sevenoaks.
For once Mystery it can't be us. We wouldn't be eligible for any of the other areas around us - too far away :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

However, on a more serious note, if you live in certain parts of Kent I understand that it is possible to sit the Kent, Medway and Bexley tests but you can only fill in one CAF form!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh it was a great thread and I'm glad ahap started it. I have been musing for ages about how to make the 2 million add up. I'm still convinced they are all from Sevenoaks.
doodles

Post by doodles »

2 million in Sevenoaks Mystery, definately not, we are far more exclusive than that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I think there are at least 2 million in Slough, myself.

Anyway nobody cares here anymore , Celtic beat Barca :D

Some things are just more important :lol:
daveg

Post by daveg »

Sally-Anne wrote:ahap has taken the bull by the horns in challenging the research behind the broadcast. Good for him/her.
"Hope it clarifies any doubts regarding the statistics" doesn't sound like they were terribly sceptical.
ahap

Post by ahap »

Hi, I'm Ahap and I am ignorant in some areas.
I use this forum to ask, receive and to give. It is no waste of time for me if I'm gaining information and knowledge through this forum.

I thank you all very much for your time.

"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err"

Mohanadas Karamchand Gandhi
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now