Order of school preferences?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mum of 2

Order of school preferences?

Post by Mum of 2 »

First post, sorry if it's not in the right place! Still no results, I am guessing they will now have to send letters out to everyone after all?
My question is this: if I just apply to the schools today, putting my grammar preferences first, and then my secondary's, will my not listing my top state secondary as my first choice impact on if she gets in or not (it's out of catchment)

Bit hard to explain what I mean, basically is she in 'competition' for a state secondary place, with all the children who listed the school as first choice... I will list it as her fifth choice under the grammars so will this compromise her getting in?? Sorry does that make ANY sense?!!
Thanks.
hermanmunster

Re: Order of school preferences?

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Mum of 2 and welcome to the forum!

If you put a grammar 1st on the CAF (or indeed 2,3 and 4th too) then you may get offered a place at one of those - if none can offer you a place then they will be disregarded and the 5th choice secondary school will become your first and you will be in the same state as all those who put it first....

.... BUT (and isn't there always one??) - if it is oversubscribed then you have to be sure that you have a really good chance of getting in under the admission policy (is this done on distance? - how far out have they offered before ? - how does this compare with you?)

Feel free to say which school it is as someone may find the info for you.

If you can put 5 schools on the CAF then may be wise to put only 3 GS, the favoured secondary and then possibly your local school where you can be sure of getting a place. If you don't do this then you may end up absolutely miles away at somewhere you hadn't considered.
Mum of 2

Re: Order of school preferences?

Post by Mum of 2 »

Many thanks for your reply. Apparently 2002 was a low birth rate in my area (chelmsford) for this current year 6, so she stands a good chance of getting in the out of catchment school and you have answered my question re. What happens if she doesn't pass the 11+ , I will put the local school down as last choice, though hope it doesn't come to that! Thanks again
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now