Grammar v State Comprehensives

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Footymad

Grammar v State Comprehensives

Post by Footymad »

Well my eldest daughter passed the 11+ last year, and now attends girls grammar. :)

My youngest daughter is currently in year six and has refused to do the 11+ as she doesn't want to go to grammar and wants to go to a comprehensive away from her sister !! lol :o

The girls get on okay most of the time, but they both are so independant and I'm keeping my fingers firmly crossed that my youngest girl can be a high achiever aswell. :?

She was clever enough to do the 11+ but was extremely sure that she wasn't going to follow the same route as her older sister. :shock:

So now we are in the process of choosing her three choices of local comp schools.

Should be fun to follow both girls( of similar ability) progress at two different schools.................................

Will keep you all posted! :)

For all on the site whose kids passed the 11+ last year I hope the kids are doing great, and for the rest who were not so fortunate to pass I hope the kids are doing well at their local schools.

And all the best to this years 11+ hopefulls :)

fingers xx'd

Footymad xx. :wink:
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Footymad,

It's nice to hear from you.
It would definitely be interesting to see how both of your girls progress in the future. I am sure that they will both do very well as they are so determined in what they want.

My son is happy and doing well. After the worries following some comments on this forum, I am now satisfied that his school lives to my initial expectations, and am very pleased with our choice.

All the best to you and your daughters

Catherine
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Footymad

Hope all goes well - just in case it helps - I'm not sure about the SGHS but ermysted's seem to take in a few (6 this year) into year 8 each year. some had taken the exam before while others hadn't - the parents had decided while they were in year 7 at another school to give it a go.

would give DD2 another option after she has tried the independence away from big sis somewhere else!

herman
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Hi,
Bad news yesterday :( . Daughter no 2 didn't get Secondary School of her first choice she is gutted :evil:

The failing local comp has still got places available :roll: ,or it's go to the school they've allocated her which is slightly better than failing local comp but she will not know anyone and will have to get a bus everyday! :shock:

She is confused and upset and so am I!!

I wonder now if I should have forced her into the 11+ so she would most probably have got a place at big sis's Grammar : (

A cheesed off Footymad :cry:
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hi Footymad,

Really sorry to read your bad news. It is very harsh for your daughter. Can she go on the waiting list for her favorite school? and/or appeal? A friend of mine was really desperate with her daughter's situation last year, but finally got an offer after the second round of allocations.

Best wishes

Catherine
HP

Post by HP »

Hi Footymad,

So sorry to hear that your daughter didn't get her first choice school. Check out the position for appeal, quite a few parents in my area last year were in the same position, hadn't wanted selective just wanted a particular comp. I know of two who appealed and both were eventually succesful in obtaining a place at their preferred schools.

Don't feel bad about not trying for the 11+, your daughter didn't want to try it and wouldn't have thanked you for forcing her.

I know I can't imagine how hard it must be for you after last year's celebrations, do remember that you had a goal for yor second daughter and the system has failed her ( as it fails so many of our wonderful children). Keep that goal in mind and GO FOR APPEAL.

HP
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Hi Catherine,
Thanks for the best wishes.

I hope your son is doing well xx.
Think I'll put her on the waiting list, and give her the weekend to decide which school she would rather attend out of the other options?

Don't think there is any point appealing as failing local comp is only across the road and LEA are desperate to fill it!

So maybe the 2nd choice comp approx 6 miles away might be a better option?

But then again daughter no2 doesn't adapt as easily to new situations etc, not like my eldester at Grammar.
I think I will give her the choice.
Not all her friends at school knew what school they had been given yesterday, so perhaps after a chat with friends, maybe confide in a teacher or two today and she might be thinking a bit clearer.

I can only hope :?

Going to treat her to a pizza takeaway tonight :)

Footymad.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

HI Footymad

I know that that Ermysted's have in recent years had some spaces free when the allocations were all done - (they would not allow boys in below the cut off mark). They offered boys who had not done the exam already the chance to have a go to see if they could get in - tended to be east lancs ? is that where you are??.

I know your daughter didn't want to go to SGHS but maybe in view of yesterdays news then things will change..
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Footymad

Just remember, its not necessarily the school your child is allocated its how well YOUR child performs in that school. Remember HPs expression 'cream always rises to the top'

I always remember you from last year as being one of the most caring posters, now its time for all of us to rally around you.

I wish you and your child every success, whatever the outcome.

Patricia
Footymad

Post by Footymad »

Hi HP,
I hope your daughter is doing well :)

I will consider appealing, but eldest son is across road at failing local comp in yr 9 just about to choose his options, and we tried to get him a place at appeal last year at the same comp as sis didn't get allocated.

No chance just too over subscribed, so don't think I could face it again!

It's just the fact that son was clever enough to go to grammar but like little sis didn't want to go, so we chose the comp across the road.

He's not doing terrible but he is far for achieving what he should have :?

Yes your right the system has failed us like it will have failed many in the last day or two.

I can really sympathise more with everyone who hasn't been quite so lucky as I was was last year.

Footymad :roll: xx.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now