Lifting of ban on new grammars

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Lifting of ban on new grammars

Post by tiffinboys »

A BBC news report suggesting new grammars by 2020.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38906594" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aethel

Re: Lifting of ban on new grammars

Post by Aethel »

"For the top 10%"
"A country-wide test to reduce tourism"

Hmmm.....

They're grammars, Jim, but not as we know them?.....
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

But will they listen?

Grammars 'unnecessary distraction', say MPs - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-38956439" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
capers123

Post by capers123 »

scary mum wrote:Grammars 'unnecessary distraction', say MPs
I happen to know Neil, the MP quoted. To the best of my knowledge, he's not anti-grammars, more anti-'spending scarce money on setting up new grammars' and anti-'lets introduce yet another change to the education system'.

Funding a whole batch of new schools will mean money comes away from the overall education budget - and that includes the existing grammars. Secondly, schools have, ever since I can remember, had new initiatives and reorganisations, all of which ultimately disrupt the education of the children. And thirdly, as for 'tutor-proof testing' to stop the children of those who can afford it gain a place at a grammar at the expense of brighter children from less wealthy families, does anyone on this forum truly believe that is possible?
Capers
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

capers123 wrote:And thirdly, as for 'tutor-proof testing' to stop the children of those who can afford it gain a place at a grammar at the expense of brighter children from less wealthy families, does anyone on this forum truly believe that is possible?
Not me but HMG is so naive it would be funny if it was not serious.

Privilege begets privilege so much for Mrs May's more equal society, this is often the problem with those who attended GS in their heyday if they will only take off their rose tinted glasses and see the disaster it was.

No doubt some farmers/coal miner's son will tell me differently and other classic how a comprehensive education ruined their life chances-it never crosses their minds that maybe just maybe they were not bright enough to begin with.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now