11+ pre-test in year 4?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bazelle

11+ pre-test in year 4?

Post by Bazelle »

Are there any tests that can be done in year 4 that would let me know if I should embark on the 11+ journey for my daughter with a reasonable chance of success or is it too early? I know exactly what I would be getting myself into as we did it for our son 2 years ago, with great success IMO, but it was a huge effort in terms of commitment and money, not to mention the stress for both of us. He was in a prep school that finishes in Y6 and was very able indeed, way above average in everything. The state option was needing improvement, so we felt we ought to do it. But now the situation is different, first of all I know what I am getting myself into in terms of stress and effort, my daughter is average or slightly above average at school, she has the option of staying at her mixed ability girls school for secondary (which she likes), and a new free state school very promising has opened last year and the other school has a new headmaster and is now good. I have to say I am not enthusiastic about the whole thing, as we have decent options and she might end up with no offers, so it would be really rubbish for her self esteem. I suppose I feel that I have to offer her the same as her brother, and if she has the chance of going to a selective school, I would let her down if I don't prepare her. I really don't know what to do. The English tutor we used for my son has retired, we also used *** a bit, but they will tell me she has a chance as they are a business IYSWIM.
kenyancowgirl

Re: 11+ pre-test in year 4?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Personally I wouldn't trust ANYONE who said they could test your child in Y4 and tell you whether they had a chance or not at 11+!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Children learn at different rates, for one, and plateau sometimes and then at others, something will just "click" and they will fly. Every year we hear about people who have the brightest child in their primary school who then fail to "pass" the 11+....there are NO certainties and anyone who says they can give you an idea is not being honest.

Your experience has as much validity as anyone about your own child.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

Yes, maybe it is too early. I should wait and see if she gets into top set in maths in year 5 and then decide. No need to stress just now.
salsa

Post by salsa »

+1
I think that it is a tricky one. I can see that on the one hand you'd like to treat them equally and on the other you wouldn't like to damage her self esteem. She's very young to make this decision.

In any case, if you discuss it with her and she'd like to have more options then you could do the preparation. As you know you have good local options, perhaps you won't stress so much. As other parents in the same position will tell you, the children do raise their attainment regardless of the outcome. A test could be experience.
About her confidence, well she won't have much if she learns that in year 4 people had decided she couldn't have a go; that she wasn't given the same opportunity as her sibling to work hard and succeed.

I know that in my own family, my second son would not have forgiven me.

Whatever you do, you know your daughter best. Good luck!
Salsa
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

I'm not sure testing a child in year 4 is necessary but you can often get a feel for whether a child will 'stand a chance' by doing bits of work with them. Bond books are good and whilst there are no guarantees if a child is coping easily with their age appropriate books then it's a good sign likewise if they're struggling don't write them off but it could be an indication of how much work you and they will have to put in over the next 18 months.
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

Can't help re. yr 4 testing but in terms of doing for one what you did for the other, I don't think that's necessary.
I currently have a yr 7 son in a grammar, he is very bright and very academic and he wanted to take the 11 plus as he wanted to go to that particular school.

I also have a son in yr 4. He hovers around the average mark. I think possibly he could pass if he worked very hard but he isn't academically minded. Whilst my eldest is thriving in that environment his brother would hate it. We have good comprehensive school options where we live, he doesn't want to take the 11 plus. I am not worried about not giving them the same opportunity because what is right for one is not right for the other. Do what you think is best for your child as an individual.