Is anyone else starting straight away with the next DC!?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fairyelephant

Re: Is anyone else starting straight away with the next DC!?

Post by fairyelephant »

My dc1 is in year 6, just sat 11 plus and will sit for indies in jan 2013, but dc2 is year 5 so we have started his preparation as well! What an 11 plus planning disaster, could really have done with a year off. In a year's time expect me in rehab! Boy will I need it. Thankfully we stopped at 2 dc....
ginx

Post by ginx »

fairyelephant

sounds like hard work! Non stop work for you! Like you, I had one in year 6 (failed 11+ by few points) but we didn't bother with dc in year 5 at the time; she would have been miserable if she had by some miracle passed. So she didn't sit at all, she didn't want to, she's just not academic. Doing fine now but never going to be top.

One in yr 6 now has just passed (hopefully! - tbc) and I'm really pleased the older two (yrs 10 and 9 now) aren't jealous. They are proud of her, which I think is really good - I'm proud of them for being proud of her! I hope we've bought them up to be polite and well mannered, as well as to try their best at school. Not that they're perfect ... but I was worried they'd be jealous of her for passing.

Twins sound challenging! I have one more to go, in yr 2. He's very very confident and quite able - but not very - and I never thought I'd consider the 11+ in year 2 - but it's there, at the back of my mind, so I'm just making sure he's doing fine.

Four children is hard work! So you have four children - four years apart - rather you than me! Hard work, I imagine! Good luck, sounds like you work well with them and I love the idea of 20 mins a week. Better, in my opinion, than a few hours a week over two years!
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Ginx: it's fine until they all need to print stuff out for homework / do their music practice / read out loud to me / interview me for their history homework (am I that old?) at the same time. I'm not looking forward to the years when we'll have several doing GCSEs / A-levels at the same time.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Ginx and 3b1g, I am in awe of you mums of four! Had news today that dd did not pass, now thinking about possibility of indie exams in jan (how will she feel if that doesn't go well?) and what to do with ds in y5 - have started him off, he has the better temperament for it, less emotional, but am feeling a bit defeatist about it all, we have a great comp nearby, when all is said and done....
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Sorry to hear you didn't get the news you were hoping for. Please don't see it as time wasted; the work you put in will stand your DC in good stead at secondary with regard to exam technique etc.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Thanks 3b1g, I am sure it will stand her in good stead, wherever she goes. Big glass of wine in hand, mine, not hers!
ginx

Post by ginx »

Sorry to hear that, fairyelephant. Who was it on here who always used to say remember, when one door closes ... easy for us to say but I do mean it. And good wishes to you both!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now