Tonight Programme on 8th Nov. 2012, 7.30pm: Check it out!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Long Journey

Re: Tonight Programme on 8th Nov. 2012, 7.30pm: Check it out

Post by Long Journey »

Wonder how they find these people! Except for the parents of the non-tutored grammar boy they all came off looking baaaaad.

How old was the Kumon instructor's son? She was talking about A Level comprehension in Year 3 but he was reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory so seemed average in his reading choices.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

...and that Tutor did actually have a Tutee or whatever they are called at 6am. I thought it was the press telling porkies whenever I heard these stories.
Last edited by sherry_d on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Impossible is Nothing.
woodstock72

Post by woodstock72 »

Pumpkin Pie wrote:Ha ha, no. I certainly wasn't one of those pushy mums! Poor children! I quite like the Finnish way of schooling, going round in socks! Lol
I'm with you Pumpkin. Felt so sorry for those kids :( I really felt for the boy that had 2 years of 25 hpw tutoring under his belt, then still couldn't take a breather because they wanted him to take GCSE's at 11/12!!!!

If they need this much tutoring to pass the test, surely they will have a tough time at school unless they continue. Let the kids have a life :wink:
Long Journey

Post by Long Journey »

woodstock72 wrote:
Pumpkin Pie wrote:Ha ha, no. I certainly wasn't one of those pushy mums! Poor children! I quite like the Finnish way of schooling, going round in socks! Lol
I'm with you Pumpkin. Felt so sorry for those kids :( I really felt for the boy that had 2 years of 25 hpw tutoring under his belt, then still couldn't take a breather because they wanted him to take GCSE's at 11/12!!!!

If they need this much tutoring to pass the test, surely they will have a tough time at school unless they continue. Let the kids have a life :wink:
The funny thing about that boy was that it didn't seem to be a case of extreme intelligence but just plain old tutoring that's getting him to GCSEs at 11. I think most grammar school entrants could get there with 25 hours tutoring a week! What's the point I wonder?

For those that didn't see it's repeated on +1 at 8.30 pm.
piemom

Post by piemom »

woodstock72 wrote:

Totally agree, why would you want to put your kid through that? Tutor proof 11+ tests: are they feasible? I really hope so.
woodstock72

Post by woodstock72 »

:shock:
Last edited by woodstock72 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

What about the poor Singapore boy who was home tutored? He had no TV, no game consoles etc.......just books. He believes that intelligence comes before friendship and that when he is older he will attract friends because of his intelligence! A lost childhood. So sad! :(
woodstock72

Post by woodstock72 »

The funny thing about that boy was that it didn't seem to be a case of extreme intelligence but just plain old tutoring that's getting him to GCSEs at 11. I think most grammar school entrants could get there with 25 hours tutoring a week! What's the point I wonder?

For those that didn't see it's repeated on +1 at 8.30 pm.[/quote]

Exactly, what's the point? :?
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Pumpkin Pie wrote:What about the poor Singapore boy who was home tutored? He had no TV, no game consoles etc.......just books. He believes that intelligence comes before friendship and that when he is older he will attract friends because of his intelligence! A lost childhood. So sad! :(
Oh yes, that was heartbreaking. I think education isn't just academic it's social too. He is missing out on so much and you could tell he was simply quoting what his mum said "I think intelligence should come before friends, friends can come later" um no !

The poor little girl being tutored from age 2 it was awful. She won't be like her peers at school, she will constantly be moved into a higher class away from her friends, just let her learn at her own rate and support her, read with her at home, that lady seriously needs a reality check !

A real eye opener. I think the little bit of 11+ tuition kids get in Gloucestershire is minor in comparison to some of the London kids. 6.00 am for tuition ! wow.

:| :?:
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

I am shocked - those poor kids :cry:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now