Tonight Programme on 8th Nov. 2012, 7.30pm: Check it out!

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
suchamuddle

Re: Tonight Programme on 8th Nov. 2012, 7.30pm: Check it out

Post by suchamuddle »

[quote="My daughter just passed Tiffins and Slough with really good marks and we only started working on technique in May and spent the summer doing practice papers while still getting out and about and having a fun time....quote]

I totally agree with you. We never even considered a tutor for our daughter until June and then it was 1 hour a week to help her with the technique!
hadenoughnow

Post by hadenoughnow »

Interesting claim - I didn't think anyone was awarded a grammar school place until March 1st???
BusyMumThree

Post by BusyMumThree »

Who are you directing your comment to "hadenoughnow"?????
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Some schools have a minimum pass mark. Getting a pass does not guarantee you a place, that is what you find out on 1st March
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Most of these parent were so driven that they were not creating geniuses but creating isolation for their children from their peers.

When the '25 hour a week 11 plus' boy starts at Grammar he needs to be making friends with his peers not being taught A level maths in isolation or with 17 years olds.

As for the 3 year old needing more stimulation, what's wrong with a couple of friends and a big cardboard box? There would be more learnt in that hour than been given pages of sums.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

The thing that stuck in my mind about the woman with the three year old was when she said, 'I just want my child to be happy'...... so she thought the secret to her child's happiness was extra lessons? :shock: I thought what makes child of that age happy was ice cream, hugs, laughter, jumping and incessantly reading the same sets of stories until you all know all the words - or maybe mine are just not very sophisticated?

UmSusu
UmSusu
mystery

Post by mystery »

I haven't watched it, but surely they have picked some extreme cases and elaborated on them slightly for greatest impact? And it's surely nothing really to do with the 11plus. Parents who are wanting to do extreme amounts of "extra input" over and above school are going to want to do so whether or not there is selective entrance at 11 surely?

Doing 25 hours per week on top of school seems a little far-fetched surely? It doesn't really sound physically possible apart from anything else. Do you think some of those children only attended school part-time maybe?

I'm not sure how much the children concerned would have disliked it all though - I completely fail to make my children do anything they dislike. Surely the fact that the children were doing this stuff showed they liked it in some way?

Having no friends outside school is sad, whatever the cause. That could be a whole programme in itself.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

4.15 am, mystery! I do remember though one occasion not too long ago when I was writing a scheme of work and got so into it :shock: that I carried on working until 5am. Luckily, OH and the kids were visiting the in-laws so it didn't affect them at all. Maybe that's how they were able to fit in the extra 25 hours. Phew, just about on topic!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Let's face it though a programme showing some children playing scrabble with their parents, talking about a programme on the telly and then doing a practice paper once a week for a couple of weeks
wouldn't have been high in the ratings..

cynical? moi?
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

mystery wrote:I haven't watched it, but surely they have picked some extreme cases and elaborated on them slightly for greatest impact? And it's surely nothing really to do with the 11plus. Parents who are wanting to do extreme amounts of "extra input" over and above school are going to want to do so whether or not there is selective entrance at 11 surely?

I watched it on catchup. :)

Elaboration? Well they had to use examples from Singapore and Finland (ok and Essex) to create a dramatic impact.

Statistically, irrelevant journalism. :roll:

But it was fun to watch in a kind of yah boo type of way. :lol: