Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:32 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 403 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:55 pm 

Welcome to the Year 4 zone! :D
Whether you're already prepping, undecided about selective education, tutoring, DIYing, or keeping your head in the sand while waiting on allocations for older siblings, this is the thread for you!

Hi - I'm ppm, ridiculously busy single mum with a DD in Year 8 at the local Comp and an 8 year old DS who looks (to me) like a perfect candidate for our oversubscribed Grammar School system. All help getting him there (preferably with my sanity intact) gratefully received. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:46 pm 

It's like the good old days PPMum! Since our eldest took the 11plus, I've been through the mill again with a completely different child...it was very stressful...but we got there in the end! Now have DD and possibly a completely different test altogether. Will definitely need a liver transplant by 2015!

Will pm you...when I get a chance, will be nice to catch up. :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:16 pm 

Yes me too. It's about the only thing in the last 8 years I haven't thought about at the last minute and my plans are now in tatters!

Even if the tests are completely different in Kent a lot of the same principles will apply - I'm hoping so anyhow. I'm pleased it's not teacher assessment that is likely.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:54 pm 

Can I join too please? :D All the exams seem to be changing round here as well, so who knows what we'll end up with.

At the moment, we have every available educational option on the table from private, to state, to home schooling! We have a tutor booked for year 5 (though horribly expensive he seems to get results) but some definite gap-filling needs to be done before then. Have also decided to look at the How to VR and NVR books over Christmas and broach that subject in January. Am wondering about a timetable; whether that would help; or just make me feel guilty when it's gone to pot ... Trouble is, when I look at what is 'realistic' it doesn't seem enough!!

Yep, definitely a brain and liver transplant by the end of this whole process. :P

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:19 pm 

Me too please :D

Not doing anything over Christmas holidays of course. I did, however, think we could fit in a few games of Scrabble and Upwords between Charades and Pictionary. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:11 pm 

DenDe wrote:
I did, however, think we could fit in a few games of Scrabble and Upwords between Charades and Pictionary. :wink:

I had been thinking on similar lines, DenDe. :twisted:
And some card games to brush up those Maths skills? Any suggestions for fun ones?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:23 pm 

An educational game I've missed? What's Upword?!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:34 pm 

fatbananas wrote:

It's a kind of 3D scrabble - in fact according to Wiki it has recently been renamed Scrabble Upwords by Hasbro

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upwords

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:37 pm 

fatbananas wrote:

Buildable scrabble. It's great.
Am I allowed to post a link, mods? Or would that be advertising? Don't want to be permanently banned agsin. ;-)

edit - beaten to it 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:46 pm 

oooo like it!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 403 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 41  Next