Some primary teachers opposed to 11 plus and grammars

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mystery

Re: Some primary teachers opposed to 11 plus and grammars

Post by mystery »

At least she didn't threaten to shop them to Social Services. If no-one did pass at her school it sounds as though the parents took her seriously and did not prepare; so her school proves that the Bucks test needed changing!
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Our primary Head,was & still is anti 11plus,& we're in Lincolnshire,which has a thriving grammar school system. She refused to help us with our appeals,so we were luckily supported by the class teacher. He then promptly moved to teach elsewhere. She is now so actively opposed,that our youngest childs teacher has offered what help he can,but it will have to be behind her back !
Interestingly enough,her hubby-who was head of a primary in the next village-was possitivly enthusiastic about it.
Don't think you need three guesses to work out which the oversubscribed school was :lol:
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

In my opinion if there is any teachers who are opposed to the idea of Selective Grammar School they are in the wrong profession. I don't think any teachers who have benefited from the Grammar School system will opposed to 11+ selective procedure. Hence I agree with Okanagan that most of these teachers were educated in the comprehesive system.

The Grammar system should stay until the time there is a satisfactory comprehesive system!!!

Not one is discourage able applicants to prepare and apply to Oxbridge and other Russell group Universities, why should we discourage able DCs to sit 11+! :wink:
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

One of our local outstanding primary schools which should be getting children into selective education had not got a child in for 7 years. I always wondered why and then I met the Year 5 teacher who was "morally" opposed to selection at 11. Then it all became clear. They also have a no homework policy so their students find the first term at secondary school a real struggle. DG
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

Daogroupie wrote:One of our local outstanding primary schools which should be getting children into selective education had not got a child in for 7 years. I always wondered why and then I met the Year 5 teacher who was "morally" opposed to selection at 11. Then it all became clear. They also have a no homework policy so their students find the first term at secondary school a real struggle. DG
Probably the school is outstanding at getting all its students to level 4B at the end of year 6. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

tabasco wrote:In my opinion if there is any teachers who are opposed to the idea of Selective Grammar School they are in the wrong profession...
The Grammar system should stay until the time there is a satisfactory comprehesive system!!!:
I am a teacher and I am opposed to selective education. I have over the years worked with many truly dedicated and professional teachers who are also opposed to it and would never work in it. I don't think this makes them unsuitable members of the profession. Expressing their views to children would be unprofessional but holding those views is their perfect right.

While there is any kind of selective system there will never be a 'satisfactory comprehensive system' because they are mutually exclusive.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Even in a totally comprehensive authority e.g. East Sussex, there is still selection.

The best schools are in the more expensive areas ...
mystery

Post by mystery »

I taught in a fully comprehensive authority, and now live in a fully grammar authority. If I was a class teacher in a state primary here I would of course do whatever was allowable to help children pass the Kent 11plus. It would be churlish and unhelpful not to. I don't think that going to a non-selective school in a fully grammar area is like attending a true comprehensive.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Our primary headteacher was vocally against the 11 plus and would tell parents this (although generally not in front of the children.) When my eldest passed, the HT and my OH (who was a school parent Governor at the time) agreed to disagree with our choice of school!
I think that it does affect the number of children taking and passing the exam from a primary, as both of my DC's were the only children from their year groups to pass for the local grammar school despite the primary being well regarded and generally high achieving.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

I am not really that sure of our DD's primary's view on GS. They have a lot going to them which must be annoying if they are not in favour.

What I do know is that they gave up on DD1 (who is not academic) and did not really seem to know what to do with DD2 (who is quite bright). The comp/academy that DD1 originally went on to then proceeded to fail her catastrophically.

If the teachers in these schools are anti 11+/GS/indie then I would hope they at least keep their views to themselves and just get on with educating their pupils adequately.

I cannot wait for DD2 to go to GS this year. She can leave them with a good SAT score, which I am sure they will like, but not sure they deserve!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now