Kumon and 11plus

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BLuedrop

Kumon and 11plus

Post by BLuedrop »

Hi all,
I am keen on hearing about kumon students who cleared 11plus....

Does kumon help with 11plus exams in any way? Is it a good idea to stop kumon in yr4 and start private tutoring?
Guest55

Re: Kumon and 11plus

Post by Guest55 »

It's better never to start Kumon - so the sooner you stop it the better!
omismum

Post by omismum »

I agree with guest55
Kumon is too much repetation and 90% work parents has to do.
sorry but ...
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Guest55 wrote:It's better never to start Kumon - so the sooner you stop it the better!

Could you explain the reasons why it is better never to start Kumon? It might be helpful for those thinking of embarking on such a journey.
rubidium

Post by rubidium »

Is anyone aware of any schools that have adopted similar techniques as to Kumon please?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Pumpkin Pie wrote:
Guest55 wrote:It's better never to start Kumon - so the sooner you stop it the better!

Could you explain the reasons why it is better never to start Kumon? It might be helpful for those thinking of embarking on such a journey.
Kumon comes up often. Most maths teachers I know dislike the Kumon approach. Your best bet is to so a search ( (top right hand corner of page) , you will find several discussions there
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Kumon is repetitive but it gets a child learning. It certainly teaches a child to work on a daily basis.

I know of a couple of children that were doing Kumon for years but were unsuccessful in their 11+ exams.

I also know of a child that is a 4 times Kumon Gold medalist (in Kumon speak that is deemed 18 months ahead of their age according to some grid system they use) and that child is perfectly happy doing it on a daily basis. The same child is also ahead of the majority of other children in their year group (backed up by gradings/teacher reports and a glowing headteacher's report too). I wouldn't say the child is overtutored or pushed into learning, its just they are G&T and need to be constantly challenged.

There are certain elements within the Kumon Maths pathway which would help a child preparing for 11+ otherwise a lot of it is irrelevant and moves onto much more complex mathematics to GCSE standard and beyond. The English course however is pretty much on par with 11+ VR questions and certainly helps with vocabulary building, comprehension and word puzzles.

If you are interested, give it a try for yourself, it may just suit your child!
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

DD2 did Kumon (maths mainly) and passed her 11+.
I guess it helped rather than hindered. We stopped just after starting to prep for the 11+. Having done Kumon probably made the 11+ prep less of a chore, but she is a child who is quite happy to get on with homework etc. anyway.

DD1 is not academic and the repetitive nature of Kumon helped her immensely.
Her school/teachers gave up on her saying not to bother sitting her SATs as she would not score. They were wrong and she scored above the minimum score.
If we had listed to her teachers (who generally seem to disapprove of Kumon) she would have never known what her potential was, and would not have even experienced an exam situation with her piers.

I would do what you feel is right for your child. Give it a try and see what you think
ginx

Post by ginx »

My nephew does kumon maths every single day, including Christmas Day.

I wouldn't want my dc to do that much work, however good it is for discipline and general learning.

Does it help with schoolwork? My nephew's maths has apparently improved, but it's not for us.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It is just boring repetitive arithmetic not mathematics!

There is a lot of enrichment resources online that are free and would benefit any child far more than this.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now