sibling numbers

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Cricket

sibling numbers

Post by Cricket »

I know one is given sibling numbers per year on allocation information, but:

is there any legal right e.g. data protection or way - that one can ask how many children have siblings for the year ahead?

Any school has a pretty good idea of siblings that they will have for next year's intake, based on family information given to the school - can we ask for this information in advance?

E.g. a Faith primary would know it has a possible 24 siblings for 2014, can a prospective parent formally ask what number of prospective siblings there currently are at any time before applying under the LA process? If only 6 places which can only go to church goers, one would know that there are no community places going to be available.
Alex

Re: SIBLING NUMBERS

Post by Alex »

No school would collect and keep this information so I don't think there is any way you could request it.

It may be that some schools have a good idea of siblings about to apply, especially if they have a nursery attached but this is by no means universal. Every year there are siblings who miss out on a place in the initial allocations because the parent has not ticked the sibling box despite having an older child in the school and the school has not picked up the fact that it is a sibling application. Some years can be "unusual" as well - one school I know has an intake of 30 and last year 26 of the places went to siblings which was a far greater proportion than usual.
mystery

Re: SIBLING NUMBERS

Post by mystery »

I asked it when I was applying for primaries - some told me and some didn't. So it is worth asking. The ones that told me had asked current parents if they had younger siblings wishing to start at the school that year. Several schools round here seem to do that. It was very useful info. One school didn't tell me - in the end I didn't put them down on my form as there were so few spaces I had to put down 1 at which I was pretty certain to get a place so I dumped the one that wouldn't /couldn't tell me.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now