SATS

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kingfisher

Re: SATS

Post by Kingfisher »

Guest55 wrote:Sorry WHY do people keep saying the KS2 test aren't important?

Targets will be set using the levels and so getting a low level is not a good idea!
MIDYIS and or CATs will be a big factor here. If a student exceeds the target, then the target will be raised. I don't see the problem.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I teach in a GS - MIDYIS is not a good predictor and CATS shouldn't be used to set targets.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

As Levels at the end of Year 6 are whole levels, there has to be another measure of ability and secondary schools will administer these. It might be FFT or some other measure but with virtually everyone on Levels 4 or 5 ( a few outside these, of course), it is not possible to use the SATs levels as the only determiner.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Guest, may I ask why iyo Midyis isn't a great predictor? Am just generally interested. (Think my DD did something along those lines for her indie entrance exam) Thanks :)

And I know I told myself I was not going to get bogged down with these levels.... :lol: But I have been advised that my DD shall leave yr 6 on with her proper sub level? So including the a, b, or c :?: Is this incorrect, so she'll actually be given a level 4, 5 or possibly (if she gets them) 6?? How/when do secondaries find out this information. Is it a proper paper file type thing they receive? An a4 sheet with grades on, that kind of thing?
Last edited by countrymum on Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Kingfisher we get the test score so can sub level them.

We track from these and FFT estimates are based on them so they are ultra important.

MiDYiS gave us too low targets and is expensive ... FFT is free!
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

The NC levels are to be phased out, according to the Department of Education. The external KS3 exams were removed after a furore a few years back but you know all this; level 7 papers were marked at Level 5 in my subject. At the school in which I worked, 46 students were awarded the wrong level including more than 20 with two levels difference. This was a trend across the country.

It is not yet known what is to replace them but things are about to change. Do you know more about this? My information may not be current.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The KS3 maths test was fine - I think we sent back papers every year in English. Precisely the same reasons as KS2 writing has changed.

I think schools will need to measure progress in some way unless Ofsted changes. The new Daft (yes I do mean that spelling) National curriculum is out and open for consultation. Needles to say I've written an essay!
secondtime

Post by secondtime »

My second DS got top Level 5s in everything - (5As the teacher said).

In first week of GS, he did a few tests which he said he knew he had messed up.

His first set of target grades were very, very low.

His brother didn't do so well in his SATs but had really high targets.

Conclusion: The GS ignored the SATs and relied on their own internal tests. The head of year implied that when I questioned the relatively low targets!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Well that's not how many Bucks GS use them ...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now