What Sats level should our DC be on by the end of year 4...

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Re: What Sats level should our DC be on by the end of year 4

Post by mystery »

I don't know how clear it is at the moment that they will be abolished. Also, certainly in maths they could not be codswallop if there was an agreed way of measuring them that all schools and teachers used, but that's not the case.

Measuring writing is another thing entirely.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Mystery - there is a national way of measuring attainment in maths it's called APP (assessing pupils progress). There are standards files so all schools can be consistent and it goes up to level 8 ie the end of KS3.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes I'm aware of that. But it still seems to lead to "local variations" e.g. the APP grid used is not exactly the same at every school, APP was never a statutory requirement so not all schools use APP on all pupils all the time, and individuals vary in how they apply the APP criteria as with any criteria based marking system. Our school, for example, only ever gives levels based on tests e.g. old KS1 and KS2 assessment tests, and QCA optional tests for the appropriate year group.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

All schools received free training on APP in Bucks so perhaps it is used better here?

Schools' assessments at KS1 and KS2 writing are moderated each year.
mystery

Post by mystery »

From what you say, bucks sounds a good deal more uniform in many respects than where I live. Of course, the bucks version of things may differ from another county which has also achieved uniformity. Yes a certain percentage of ks1 writing from each teacher is moderated, but not every year. And still it's a little confusing. E.g. My dd1 was moderated at Easter of ks1 and marked down from a 3 to a 2a by an external moderator. In the end of year report, and on raise online, she was a 3c. I am not convinced she improved during that time.

There's the occasional discussion on tes where people send in a piece of writing for levelling. The discrepancies are huge amongst experienced teachers and lit co-rods. I've seen bits of writing and the grades teacher give at more than one primary and the variation in standards required to hit a low 3 is huge.

If I was a year 6 teacher I'd give the highest grade possible and set out my reasons and then hope for the best with the moderated sample. I've seen a relative get b for gcse English with a standard of written English which was much poorer than many primary teacher would give a level 4 to.

App is very hard to apply to reading and writing. Our school once gave us the app sheet they use for reading. It was so meaningless I put it in the bin. It makes one realise how subjective exam marking is too when there isn't just a right / wrong answer.

It's another good reason to focus on what the child needs to do to improve than the actual level given as there is very little cross-country agreement. ( a bit like what is year 5 work :wink:
Manana

Post by Manana »

I teach in Essex and we haven't used APP for years. I rather suspect that with the new curriculum will come a new and exciting statutory way to assess r/w/m that is complicated, time consuming, involves lots of made up words and requires vast amounts of photocopying and highlighting in many pretty colours. I look forward to it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now