pushing children to pass by tutoring

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ThursdaysGirl

Post by ThursdaysGirl »

simon wrote: I think the point is that to do well, wanting to do well is at least as important as being clever.
If not more important!

Best regards,
Thursdays Girl. :)
One World, One People, US!
cindy

Post by cindy »

Simon,

Good job you posted, think you are dead right. WELL DONE.

good luck to you.

The power of possitive thinking....

CindyX
patricia

Post by patricia »

simon wrote: I think the point is that to do well, wanting to do well is at least as important as being clever.
Totally agree. I remember when my children were in primary school, on the day of the 11 plus results, all the children would be taken to the hall for circle time. Time for expressing fears and discussing methods of coping with selection and non selection. The head also explained that it didn't matter which school they went to, it was down to how hard that child wanted to achieve. Examples were given of children going to uppers schools coming out with very high grade GCSEs and A levels going onto University, eventually earning more money than some of their grammar school counterparts [ the children identified with the money aspect!]

Patricia
capers123

Post by capers123 »

mummalea01 wrote:don't beat yourself up for wanting the best Berkshire education you can get in the Slough area.
Now that's where I think many parents make a mistake - they assume that the best school for their child is the most academic, or has the best local reputation. In reality, another school that doesn't appear to shine in results tables may be better for your individual child. That's why it's so important to listen to the teachers at primary school, look at results you haven't had to help with (did you really do 75% of the Egypt project for your child?!), look round all the local schools and talk to their teachers about how they deal with the brighter children (and that's not just the 11+ pass standard children, but the pretty close to passing who are still bright).
Capers
kentmum1

Post by kentmum1 »

I totally agree with you Capers. I know of a boy who desperately wanted to go to a particular grammar and his mother secretly put down a highly selective school that he was not keen on, to fulfill her 'secret aspirations'. Well, he worked as hard as he could to get into his choice, as he had always been borderline. However, his effort got him into the other school, which he had no idea had been put on the CAF. Needless to say, the mother was over the moon and he is now feeling extremely cross!
melinda

Post by melinda »

Dear Experiencedmum,
Thanks for telling us your tale, I have heard the same thing from others whose sons got into grammars and struggled with the homework.
I have a son who recently got into grammar and he is so happy! I know he is capable of coping with the work, but still I am worried about the amount of homework he will be given compared with primary school.

I don't know the answer, we all want our kids to do well and, compared to the local comp, grammar school appears the better option education wise, others may not agree, but that is my opinion.

Nothing is guaranteed in this life, we just do the best we can.