Newbie with Mistakes

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MadMum.com

Re: Newbie with Mistakes

Post by MadMum.com »

Thank you everyone for your help. It's a relief to hear I'm not alone.

We don't do tests all the time and at the moment I haven't been timing her, just keeping a check on the time it's taken.

We normally go through the tests after they are done and we use them so we can understand areas that are unknown, and we then do more work on those areas. We also have a chart tht shows progress that my daughter is making.

The silly mistakes started to happen in the last couple of months so we had a little break. When we came back this was the result.

We have had a little chat about it. I think I have drummed it into my daughters head now that if she want to go to the super selective school that she is desperate to go to then both myself and dd have to do some extra work. Which she seems happy with as really doesn't want to go to the secondary school nearby. She has told me that he just found it really hard that day :-/
Bromleymum1

Re: Newbie with Mistakes

Post by Bromleymum1 »

Hi

Just to say when I was working with DS for 11+ last year, I didn't start timing them at first. Check to see what the time limit/number of questions for your area is. Nearer the time you can introduce a time limit. To start with, I gave him alittle longer than suggested and gradually shortened the length of time to get him used to it.

Do check details for your area re 11+. I know for Bexley things are changing this year - questions will be a mix of verbal, non-verbal reasoning, comprehension and maths. I believe that it might be in sections, which individually will have time limits.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now