You don't need a tutor to get your DC through the 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gladitsovermum

Re: You don't need a tutor to get your DC through the 11+

Post by gladitsovermum »

Yes - we are currently preparing DS' PHd thesis on the Darwin's "Theory" of Evolution so watch out world we are going to re-write history with DS' "The Facts of Evolution" :wink:

This will be my last post forever because I am not obsessed with this whole 11+ thing where ppl have been members since 2004 and written 1,000s of posts.

So just for the record - QE was what my son wanted. I told him with success comes hard work and he was prepared for that. In no way throw the 'tutoring' process did he come to any harm or distress as he enjoyed the challenge (It was slightly for stressful for me).

Two hours per night wasn't that much in the grand schemeof things - He had weekends and Fridays off :wink:

And which private tutor tutors for an hour? All the ones that I spoke to said two hours otherwise there wasn't enough time to get stuck in and the HW would have been two papers a day. Let's not kid anyone, I've spoken to parents in DS class half who were paying a tutor and they said that there DC either went to class over the weekends with loads of homework or their DC went 2/3 in week after school so DAOgroupie and madmum please don't make out that I've tortured my poor child.

Parents of Year 5 DC

Please stay calm amid the frenzy of this 'market' that has been created, where we have been led to believe that state ed.is inferior and that we should all be paying for our kids to be tutored to get them into selective schools.

Selective schools sometimes suit a certain type of child and not all selectives are the same.

My advice is if you can tutor your own child DO IT and if you need help get a tutor but keep close tabs 'cos u ain't gonna get your £1,000s spent back if they don't get in.

BEST OF LUCK.LOOK OUT FOR MY BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amber

Post by Amber »

gladitsovermum wrote:This will be my last post forever because I am not obsessed with this whole 11+ thing where ppl have been members since 2004 and written 1,000s of posts.

So just for the record - QE was what my son wanted. I told him with success comes hard work and he was prepared for that. In no way throw the 'tutoring' process did he come to any harm or distress as he enjoyed the challenge (It was slightly for stressful for me).
So basically you joined the forum to tell everyone how pleased you are that your son got into the school he wanted to go to, with 2 hours a night tutoring from you; and to have a pop at others who have done something similar but decided to stay on and offer advice and support to others?

I am sure others on here will join me in thanking you for your valuable contribution.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Amber Posts: 3001
:D

Congratulations. :lol:
mad?

Post by mad? »

Amber wrote:
I am sure others on here will join me in thanking you for your valuable contribution.
+1 :D
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:
This will be my last post forever because I am not obsessed with this whole 11+ thing where ppl have been members since 2004 and written 1,000s of posts.

So basically you joined the forum to tell everyone how pleased you are that your son got into the school he wanted to go to, with 2 hours a night tutoring from you; and to have a pop at others who have done something similar but decided to stay on and offer advice and support to others?

Well said Amber!

For the record, I don't know anyone who has a 2 hour session with a tutor - how does a 10 year old concentrate for that long? Here in leafy Bucks where quite a high percentage go to a GS, one hour would be the norm. I do appreciate that it's more competitive in other areas, but I think the tutor may have been trying it on.
scary mum
ginx

Post by ginx »

Congratulations to you, gladitsovermum.

Whilst DIY is most admirable, I think we should all respect our different circumstances and my same congratulations to anyone who had a tutor. And I hope those dp whose children didn't get to the school they wanted go on to be happy and do well.
Last edited by ginx on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

ginx wrote:Congratulations to you, gladitsovermum.

Whilst DIY is most admirable, I think we should all respect our different circumstances and my same congratulations to anyone who had a tutor. And I hope those dp whose children didn't get to the school they wanted go on to be happy and do well.

Amber, I can't believe you're leaving! You've given so much sensible advice. Good luck to your ds, and all the best to you.
It's OK Ginx .. Amber was quoting gladitsovermum not saying she was leaving herself.. :wink:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Noooo - it's not Amber that's leaving (or at least I hope not :D ). It's the OP - just just came for a brief visit to let us know how her DC got on and give us some advice :roll:
scary mum
ginx

Post by ginx »

Oh no! I'm so stupid! Sorry everyone (and I've even sent Amber a private message!) :oops:

And edited my original comment. Feeling stupid.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

In leafy Kent, the average tutor session is 1 hour per week for year 5 also, for selective and super selective schools. The only two hour sessions I heard of was during the final summer holiday to practice papers etc in timed conditions.

This website gives support and practical advice about the 11+ which is lacking elsewhere - certainly schools and the local county council don't provide this information. It doesn't just cover the 11+ but education ( state and private), entertainment, health etc - whatever people want to post.

If that makes me an obsessed addict, then I admit it.