What do we really mean when we say a child has done "well?"

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: What do we really mean when we say a child has done "wel

Post by Amber »

Okanagan wrote:
Amber wrote:Many,many bright children will not do so well as they and their parents don't have the cultural capital to play the system in this way. They don't know about tutors, they may be afraid to challenge the teachers, it doesn't occur to them to go and get extra books.
Or of course they may just not have the financial resources to use tutors and buy additional books - even if they are aware of them and would be motivated to do so.
That is why I used the term 'cultural capital' which includes the idea of having the resources - financial or otherwise - to access advantage.

But you are right that 'poor' children do less well at school. Period. And I don't think anyone would suggest there is a class-related link with intelligence. The UK and Germany, which has a fully selective secondary system in most regions, do worse than any other developed nations on providing equal outcomes in education to all.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, so of course the school results are still not that clear even in these newer style tables, as you could have a school full of lazy level 4 children with parents inpossession of both capital and cultural capital whose parents decide to bust a gut and their bank account at ks3 and ks4 to drag some good results out of them, and value added then looks fab. Or vice versa.

Of course it's not all the school, but it's not all the child, nor all the parents. It's a shared responsibility. The new tables help a little - one more piece in a puzzling puzzle.
2littleboysmum

Post by 2littleboysmum »

Why would a truly comprehensive system be best? remind me again. Didn't Northern Ireland when a fully selective system get the best results for the whole of the UK (of GB and NI)? , one doesn't imagine it was all down to the 'pointy elbowed' middle classes or whatever you choose to call them.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

Reeaaallly??????????
In our local branch of W H Smi*h the revision books are arranged just down the aisle from all the downmarket "celebrity" magazines beloved of those whose "cultural capital" is different to mine! Not much difference in price either and MUCH cheaper than fags or Sky Sports!
Could we not just call a spade a spade and say that children with selfish ignorant parents will fail to reach their potential anywhere icluding Eton or a ruthlessly totalitarian comprehensive system?