NFER Standardised Score

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mike1880

Re: NFER Standardised Score

Post by mike1880 »

I seem to remember daughter doing something similar in Y6. I think we can be pretty certain it's not an IQ test; the description doesn't sound like one and in any case schools don't care tuppence for IQ or other interpretations of potential, they're only interested in past and current attainment. (In any case I wouldn't attribute any value to an IQ test administered by anyone other than an EP.)

If it's a Y5 test then the obvious question arises as to how a score was calculated for a child outside the age bounds of the standardisation table.

Mike
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Was a VR style test according to DC http://www.nfer.ac.uk/nfer/research/ass ... -tests.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; It mentions on the website (thanks again for the link) tests can be carried out yr3-9? I doubt school have given a yr 5 test to a yr 6 high achiever, especially when the yr 5 tests were already carried out same time the previous year. but you never know. Bit confused on yr 6 thing though, are we saying yr 6s don't do NFER tests?

Anyway don't want to get too bogged down with it, but interesting to know how these 'tests' work. I blame the forum, made me far too nosy :lol:
wildwest

Post by wildwest »

I hope I don't confuse anyone, because I have absolutely no knowledge of any of these tests...

.For DD in year 4 the teacher has given NFER ( which they were told not to prepare for, which DD was absolutely particular about and wouldn't listen to any advice on our part to at least rehearse times tables) scores as 'above average' and 'moderately high' .......

Now, what does this mean??
mystery

Post by mystery »

You would need to look at how NFER define the terminology for the particular test that she used. The school should be able to tell you because they administered the test. They should be able to tell you the range of centiles these particular descriptors apply to. They should also be able to give you the confidence interval for the result if one is printed in the administrators' handbook. You are entitled to all of this. It is easy to provide to all pupils, but you have to make a special request for it if the school will not give it from an informal request.

You need the name of the tests. Some schools just use old tests photocopied from years ago and don't pay the publisher for the up to date material or the rights to test the number of pupils that they do test. If this is the case the standardisation could be well out of date too.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

That will have been scored by stanines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanine). There are various different terms that can be used inconjunction with stanines, "above average" and "moderately high" would refer to stanines 7 and 8 respectively.

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now