relocating from California to UK with ten yr old

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Re: relocating from California to UK with ten yr old

Post by Sally-Anne »

It sounds to me as though the tests could work in her favour because there is no specific maths paper for Lincs. Unless things have changed, there are 4 maths-type questions on the Lincs papers, but there are good strategies that can be taught to deal with those.

You might like to download some e-papers from our bookshop to see how your DD gets on with VR/NVR: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/E-Papers/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Try a couple of the full length e-papers from the Tutors or a few 15 minute Level 3 papers for VR. For NVR, a couple of any of the papers on offer would do as a starter.

Please be aware that there are specific practice materials for different types of entrance exams!
kjtoes

Post by kjtoes »

Guess55,

Thank you for the link for the exam paper examples. It looks like my daughter, with a bit of revision, will be fine with the one paper I looked at. Some of the phrasing in the questions is different than what she is used to, but with some practice and some experience in yr six at a primary school she should be feeling a lot more confident.

Sally-Anne, I just saw your link too -- thank you! I will check it out. Her verbal skills are notable, as is her writing so I agree the testing may run in her favor. I sent a sample of her writing to my parents in Lincolnshire and they were impressed, sharing with a retired grammar teacher who was also impressed.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread -- lots of great responses and I really appreciate the time you have all taken.

Kj
kjtoes

Post by kjtoes »

cripes, just had a chance to look at the mental math test. No way is she ready for the test. She's way too anxious about math and her retrieval can be quite weak unless we practice math facts every day consistently -- and she has no idea how to look at problems and break them down into more manageable chunks for quick calculations. She just gets so wound up and so anxious about math, especially under timed conditions & has zero experience of mental math. The metric conversions are likely to trip her up too :-( Yet, per her past teachers, she can do some of the more challenging math that other students struggle with. She's an interesting child. I'd say the principles of math, numbers sense -- the very core of what math is, trip her up and I've seen it from an early, early age. As a parent, it has always been a concern for me. However, ask her about life sciences, history, philosophy, ethical problems. Ask her about her about poetry, ask her to write a story/poem or write a literature analysis of a book she's read and she'll blow you away.

Clearly, I need to come up with a plan to encourage her to practice, practice, practice to minimize the anxiety. Grammar school or not, I see a gap in her math skills is going to be critical to her transition to a U.K. school.

Does anyone have any tips and familiarity with this kind of problem? Any recommendations to help support a student that has math anxiety that seems to impair their ability to reach their potential?

K
kjtoes

Post by kjtoes »

doodles wrote:To get her in the right year - hope this helps - my DS was born in June 2002 and has just FINISHED year 6 and will go into Yr7 in September.

This year's year 6 cohort were born between 1st September 2001 and 31st August 2002 and will start secondary school (Yr7) on 1st September 2013 (or thereabouts).
Doodles and Okanan... thanks - your examples have helped to clarify. DD would be starting yr six in September 2013 from the sounds of it. A little bit of relief as it will buy me more time than I had thought.

Working through all your messages again to get things straight in my head and exploring the links others have shared, (which take me to other links) Susan and Guest 55, thank you again. I'm looking back at the Lincolnshire region pages to clarify what she'd be tested on. Hoping to avoid mental arithmetic testing -- though I'd love for her to become a master of mental math (such a life skill) it is so not her forte by any stretch of the imagination; nor mine for that matter.
kjtoes

Post by kjtoes »

Guest55 wrote:It might help to look at some old KS2 tests (that's the correct name :D ) to try to see where your DD's gaps are:

http://www.emaths.co.uk/index.php/4-stu ... sat-papers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

English and Maths are compulsory and some schools will do a science sampling test.
Sorry for so many questions....

I would like to clarify --

"KS2 tests" are standardized tests that all year six students get to assess their achievement of stage 2, & 11 plus is a separate test for grammar school entrance?

and....

the 11 plus test can vary from region to region and sometimes from schools within the same region depending on their school status/title/funding?

and....

is the "KS2 test" the same standardized test across the U.K. or does that vary too? I see there are several different examining boards....

and lastly....

is the score on the "KS2 test" taken into consideration by the administration board for grammar school acceptance?
mystery

Post by mystery »

11plus can vary from school to school. Ks2 test is standard in England, not uk.

If your child fails 11 plus test and you appeal, the appeal panel would consider expected ks2 results.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

kjtoes wrote:
Sorry for so many questions....

I would like to clarify --

"KS2 tests" are standardized tests that all year six students get to assess their achievement of stage 2, & 11 plus is a separate test for grammar school entrance?
That is correct. KS2 tests are taken in The summer term, usually May, of Y6. The 11+ test is taken in early September of Y6.
and....

the 11 plus test can vary from region to region and sometimes from schools within the same region depending on their school status/title/funding?
Also correct, some grammar schools in Lincolnshire use their own test. Caistor is one.
and....

is the "KS2 test" the same standardized test across the U.K. or does that vary too? I see there are several different examining boards....
The same tests across the country in maths, grammar and reading. Writing and science is assessed by the teacher.
and lastly....

is the score on the "KS2 test" taken into consideration by the administration board for grammar school acceptance?
No, if you appeal because of non-qualification, an appeal may well be over before you have SAT results. A report is obtained from the current school asking about levels and examples of work are needed.
Samlet

Post by Samlet »

kjtoes wrote:I'd say the principles of math, numbers sense -- the very core of what math is, trip her up and I've seen it from an early, early age. As a parent, it has always been a concern for me. However, ask her about life sciences, history, philosophy, ethical problems. Ask her about her about poetry, ask her to write a story/poem or write a literature analysis of a book she's read and she'll blow you away.

Clearly, I need to come up with a plan to encourage her to practice, practice, practice to minimize the anxiety. Grammar school or not, I see a gap in her math skills is going to be critical to her transition to a U.K. school.

Does anyone have any tips and familiarity with this kind of problem? Any recommendations to help support a student that has math anxiety that seems to impair their ability to reach their potential?

K
I have a DD who sounds just like this and will be starting Grammar School this September.

We never found the 'magic button' to switch on her number sense (which her brother has always naturally had), but found that endless practice and never assuming that once a subject was ok, that it would stick (found that one out the hard way) was enough to get her through. It is worth checking the detailed requirements of the exams for the relevant schools too - for example in our area you have to pass the exams as a whole, but not each individual exam which can really help if one area is weaker.

Good luck
kjtoes

Post by kjtoes »

thank you Mystery, Wonderwoman and Samlet.

All very reassuring responses. Now I need to relax and get off this bullet train for a bit ;-)

Just want to again, express appreciation for this friendly and informative place. It's such a great resource and I'm sure helps many families out there.

K