Will he be OK?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

Will he be OK?

Post by Guest »

I have a son who is just going into year 6 and we are considering him doing the 11+
In his end of year 5 optional sats for maths he got a 4a,just missing out on a level5.
So in his official year6 sats he should comfortably acchieve a level 5,which everyone seems to think is fine for grammer,and they won't struggle.
The thing is in his year4 report the teacher said he was struggling,so I have spent the last year giving him extra help at home,which has obviously worked,but now I am worried that he has only acchieved this with extra help and he might struggle when I stip helping.
Any opinions will be welcomed
BW

Post by BW »

The fact that he has taken on board what you have taught him, proves that he is capable of more than the school has provided for him.
Give it a go. He sounds like a capable child that, would gain much from a focused grammar education.
Good Luck

BW

Re: Will he be OK?

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:I have a son who is just going into year 6 and we are considering him doing the 11+
In his end of year 5 optional sats for maths he got a 4a,just missing out on a level5.
So in his official year6 sats he should comfortably acchieve a level 5,which everyone seems to think is fine for grammer,and they won't struggle.
The thing is in his year4 report the teacher said he was struggling,so I have spent the last year giving him extra help at home,which has obviously worked,but now I am worried that he has only acchieved this with extra help and he might struggle when I stip helping.
Any opinions will be welcomed

Don't worry about him not coping. My daughter is much stronger at English and languages and is OK at maths and I was worried about her going to the grammar she got into as it is a very high achieving school. She has done well and has not been struggling with the maths at all. In fact I have found that she has enjoyed the challenge of the maths even though it is not her favourite subject and she is keen to be on par with her peers (obviously there are always exceptional pupils who are outstanding). Good luck to you son - I am sure he will be fine.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now