Dilemma when faced with more than 1 offer.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Dilemma when faced with more than 1 offer.

Post by Guest »

I'm being optimistic. My child's done well and it's possible that we'll receive an offer from the grammar and independents. Which one do you go for? Travel time (grammar is furtherest from home) is a real factor, fees to a lesser extent. We dont have much time to accept an offer and I think it's something worth considering from now. In terms of university/opportunities, the pressure is greater to choose wisely.

It would help to hear from others who have, or are, faced with making a similar decision.

Post by Guest »

I was under the impression that all the lea's only give students one school offer now? And if you want an independent school you hav to put it as a preference also?

Anyone now anymore on this subject?

Footymad.

Post by Guest »

In London last year the independents were outside the LEA system of coordinated admissions (I don't know if it's different for this year). We got offers from the independents before we heard from the grammar so had plenty of time to think those over. However, we knew we would only have about 48 hours after receiving the LEA offer to get back to the independents with a decision (they deliberately set their deadline after the LEA offer was out). So we talked it over on the assumption our son's LEA offer would be the grammar (although we thought that was probably unlikely). When the LEA offer came through we'd already decided what we would do (he didn't get a place at the grammar).

On making a choice we in the end just went with our gut instinct on which school would suit him best. We did try to draw up a list of pros and cons for each school giving them points for various aspects (trying to be rational in a time of some turmoil!) However, they pretty much came out the same; hence the instinct route! Travelling time in our experience is far more important once you are in the middle of Year 7 than it seems when talking theoretically about choice in Year 6. I'm for ever grateful that it takes our son only half an hour to get home as opposed to the hour plus that the journey from some of the other schools would have been.

The school we chose probably has a marginally less academic reputation than the others he was offered but it's closer, is outstanding pastorally and he is v. happy there. Hope this helps.

Post by Guest »

I really didnt think that I had to make this absolutely clear, but due to Footymad's confused reply I will. Independents are completely outside the LEA system, however, this year both the LEAs and several independents will be sending out offers around the same time - 1 March "National Offer Day" .

Thanks for the "instincts route tip", we really should rely on the more. Travelling time is undoubtedly my biggest concern.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now