can I apply for 2 grammar school at the same time

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

somer

can I apply for 2 grammar school at the same time

Post by somer »

Hi new to the forum and preparing my dd for her 11 plus ...shes in yr 5. I wanted to know am allowed to make an application to 2 separate grammar school, come march..june ... eg I'd like to apply to henrietta and Barnett and Watford grammar for girls. Am I allowed to do the above. I doubt my daughter will get into h&b...that's my reason for applying at wgg... Thanks in advance. Please any help would be very appreciated. ..
ToadMum

Re: can I apply for 2 grammar school at the same time

Post by ToadMum »

You can make an application for your DD to take the exam for as many schools as will allow you to. As far as I know, Henrietta Barnett is a super-selective and accepts anyone to sit their exam and to be given a place if they score highly enough. However, taking the test and applying for a place at a state secondary school are separate procedures - you have to apply for all schools via your own LA, Nov to the school directly. Look up Secondary School Admissions on your local authority website.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

There is now a difference between applying to sit the tests and applying for the school. You can sit as many tests as you like if you are in the catchment areas. If you are interested in HBS you do not want it to be your first exam so you should try and find others that are earlier to use as mocks and I would advise doing the Sutton mocks. If you are in Herts you have four choices when you apply so you can put HBS first and Watford Second and you still have two more choices. If you don't get an offer at HBS you will then get the opportunity to get an offer at Watford. If you get more than one offer Herts will send you the offer of the school you put first so be careful. If you put Watford first and get an offer from HBS Herts Council will not send it to you as they will assume that you prefer Watford. You need to start preparing for both schools now. Browsing through the Herts threads will make it clear to you just how much effort and time current Y6 parents have put into giving their dc's the chance to get a place at these schools. DG
somer

Post by somer »

Many thanks ToadMum and Daogroupie its made everything much clearer. could anyone let me know about the part 2 section of Henrietta Barnett School, does the children sit the 1st and 2nd part in September? or do they sit part on in September, and part 2 in January? Does Watford Grammar has a part 2 section? thanks in advance.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Watford has a Maths and VR paper in one session with a ten minute break in between. HBS has a VR/Numerical reasoning paper and then an English and Maths paper all in one session. There is no time for two parts any more as they have to hold their exam in September and give the result in October before the application form is due in. DG
somer

Post by somer »

Daogroupie, many thanks. i must say i truly appreciate you replying me. i have little knowledge of the grammar school thing :) another thing is I cant just call H&BS :( I have got to email them. i think they've got so much on their hands already.
really! they haven't got 2 parts in different mths, any more :( i was hoping lil one will get a break, so she can prepare for the writing task. really have got to put in some work now. many thanks again.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

My dd's both sat Watford and HBS [edited by moderator]. May I suggest that you post in the Herts section from now on where there is lots of great info about both schools. Mods perhaps you could move this thread to Herts. DG
somer

Post by somer »

Thanks alot will do.