LeagueTables ranking's and other useful stuff

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

vaani2003

LeagueTables ranking's and other useful stuff

Post by vaani2003 »

Anybody whose interested. My friend made this site and have updated information about League Tables / ranking's and other useful stuff.

http://www.locrating.com/LeagueTables.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cheers
2Girlsmum

Re: LeagueTables ranking's and other useful stuff

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Why has he missed out most of the schools? Looking at the top 400 State Schools for 2013, HBS came 1st, and St Michael's came 6th overall for GCSE and they are in same borough as QE Boys. Latymer, in the next Borough was 15th. For A levels HBS came 3rd, St Michael's came 11th and Laymer came 16th.
vaani2003

Post by vaani2003 »

i don't know, may be contact him directly if you are concerned from the website itself :)
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Removed my comments :)
Last edited by parent2013 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Post by Amber »

IMHO all league tables, rankings etc are anything but 'useful'. Massive pinch of salt plus other seasonings required before looking at them.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

League tables can be helpful if used in conjunction with other sources of information, but they're a blunt instrument and there is better information available (that has not always been the case). Some of them are really only reflecting the social composition of the intake and some of them only the school's willingness to prioritise scoring well in league tables over pupils' long term interests. Few if any really reflect very much about the quality of education at a school.
bexamy

Post by bexamy »

I am at a loss as where to send my daughters as all 3 comprehensive in our town have failed to impress me. If she fails that grammar school test I genuinely don't know what to do. Have looked out of town but wouldn't likely get into those school's as we would be last pick to an already oversubscribed school.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Even the 'worst' schools have good points and almost every school has some very high achieving pupils who walk away with a string of A*s. Some middle class parents actually make an ideological choice to send children to low achieving schools - several studies have been done into 'counter-intuitive middle class choices' and the dominant role of social class in determining educational outcome in whatever setting (if you are interested look for the work of Carol Vincent or James, Reay et al). The conclusions of such research should be reassuring for you.

You can always try for late entry to GS- some areas like ours have schools which set internal tests based on curriculum rather than VR for in-year applications- or for transfer at sixth form, if you remain unimpressed with the allocated school. 11+ isn't the be-all and end-all of education and if you find a school which is 'good enough' and work with it, you might find it is better than you thought.

But good luck with the GS tests anyway.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Amber wrote:Even the 'worst' schools have good points
true - I once for idle interest looked at the ofsted report for a school with one of the worst set of GCSE results in the country. It was glowing and with good reason. The school had a very rapid turnover of kids, huge numbers not speaking english or very limited english, many had recently arrived from battle zones. Despite all these disadvantages the school was nurturing the kids made good progress - tables aren't everything.
tabasco

Post by tabasco »

2Girlsmum wrote:Why has he missed out most of the schools? Looking at the top 400 State Schools for 2013, HBS came 1st, and St Michael's came 6th overall for GCSE and they are in same borough as QE Boys. Latymer, in the next Borough was 15th. For A levels HBS came 3rd, St Michael's came 11th and Laymer came 16th.
He is using the average points scores per pupil for his league table and the FT is using the % of A*-B. So if a school entered each pupils for 4 A levels is going to have a higher point average than those who only entered for 3. Of course we are taking about them have the same grades (eg 4A* against 3 A* etc).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now